talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Manufacturers & Vendors of Fine Tools > Bridge City Tool Works

Bridge City Tool Works For the past twenty-five years we have been producing innovative and impeccably crafted heirloom tools for serious woodworkers and collectors worldwide. Made in America, all of our tools are produced in limited numbers and with minimal care should continue to inspire your children's children. I believe the look, feel and accuracy of each Bridge City tool will always influence you to do your best work. Quality is contagious. Regards, John Economaki President & Founder

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-25-2009, 04:51 PM
Super Moderator

Default Re: New Mystery Tool from Bridge City

I agree with you, Eiji. On the other hand, you could call up BCT (talk with Natasha), and it's possible that they have a DJ-1 sitting around that they would sell you. Possibly at a discount. They're really nice people there.

It kills me that most of these nice tools are probably never actually being used.
Old 06-25-2009, 05:04 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poto View Post

It kills me that most of these nice tools are probably never actually being used.
I agree, what a waste!
Old 06-25-2009, 05:22 PM

Quote:
I agree with you, Eiji. On the other hand, you could call up BCT (talk with Natasha), and it's possible that they have a DJ-1 sitting around that they would sell you. Possibly at a discount. They're really nice people there.

reality check......

btw......the DJ-1 is still in production, so it wouldn't have had the time to sit around yet.

but, I agree with Peter about calling Natasha, (there might be one unspoken for that is in the upcoming run)

Regarding the discount, that's usually for blems..... again after they come out of production and all the units have been assembled.
It's nice when that happens, but not something to really count on.

,,,r

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 06-25-2009, 06:06 PM
Super Moderator

On the other hand, it's pretty hard to find the blem on a blem. I have a blem CS-2, and I still haven't figured out why it's a blem...

But you're right Roger - patience may be necessary here.
Old 06-26-2009, 08:50 PM
Founding Member

I have to say that I very much agree with Eiji and others about you when it comes to the business practice of BCTW. Strangely enough he recently said at one of the Hand Tool Events and I am paraphrasing that "BCTW going out of business for the last 25 years." Just looking through their discontinued tools is enough to drive me crazy. There are some incredible tools in there that would be so helpful yet they are no longer being made. I must admit that I really do not understand the "why" behind it all. The marketing from his blog is brilliant, the tools themselves are magnificent and the people that work there are great. Yet, I end up being more frustrated by BCTW than pleased. I also agree with Eiji in that if the tools were continually produced the higher prices would no longer be justified. I guess for me it comes down to this. I look at the BCTW website and I see some absolutely marvelous tools that I would/could use. So we have demand and I do not believe that I am the only one so that I think there is probably a fairly decent level of demand yet the supply side for the most part is so low in some cases as to almost be non-existent. There is a fairly small but potent amount of discontinued BCTW tools sold on ebay. Not only sold but the vast majority of the time it is sold for quite a bit more than it was retailing for when BCTW had it available. But this market does not help BCTW at all as they are not the ones selling the tools. It seems to me that John only need look at what happens on ebay to see what he could be doing by continuing production. I will 100% grant that this is a simplified model of what BCTW could do for many reasons but I will stand by the fact that the demand for their tools almost always far exceeds supply.

Fred
Kapex, OF2200,Domino,TS 75, Trion PS 300, RO 150, RO 90, ETS 150/5, ETS 150/3, DTS 400, RS 400, LS 130, RS 2, Deltex 93, RAS 115, CT 33, CT 22, CT 26 CT Midi, OF 1400, MFK 700, C 12, LR 32 3, Shinex, MFT/3s, 3 MFT 1080s, WCR 1000, UG-KA-SET, 10 Sysports, 2 Walko's, Marcou's J20A, S20A, M12, S45, S55A, VSP 40, Brese 650-55J, Sauer & Steiner XSNo.4, SS Jointer, A5 Desert Ironwood and #4 Damascus, Knew Concepts 8 inch Fretsaw, Knew Concepts 5 inch Titanium Fretsaw, Hammer K3 48x48, Hammer A3 31
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 06-26-2009, 09:59 PM
Super Moderator

My guess is that they are just not big enough to keep retooling to continually make their range of tools. They make one batch of one tool, and then go on to the next tool. No going back. Expanding to make several tools at the same time would probably have significant overhead costs that might not be recovered in selling more tools at lower prices.

Just a guess. It could also be that John wants to keep his customers wanting more...
Old 06-26-2009, 10:24 PM
Founding Member

Quote:
My guess is that they are just not big enough to keep retooling to continually make their range of tools. They make one batch of one tool, and then go on to the next tool. No going back. Expanding to make several tools at the same time would probably have significant overhead costs that might not be recovered in selling more tools at lower prices.

Just a guess. It could also be that John wants to keep his customers wanting more...
I could be completely wrong on this but I believe that the vast majority of the manufacturing process is in the design and the master mold or whatever they may call it. However after that the more you run the lower your costs. That is one of the reasons why I do not understand how they run the business.

Fred
Kapex, OF2200,Domino,TS 75, Trion PS 300, RO 150, RO 90, ETS 150/5, ETS 150/3, DTS 400, RS 400, LS 130, RS 2, Deltex 93, RAS 115, CT 33, CT 22, CT 26 CT Midi, OF 1400, MFK 700, C 12, LR 32 3, Shinex, MFT/3s, 3 MFT 1080s, WCR 1000, UG-KA-SET, 10 Sysports, 2 Walko's, Marcou's J20A, S20A, M12, S45, S55A, VSP 40, Brese 650-55J, Sauer & Steiner XSNo.4, SS Jointer, A5 Desert Ironwood and #4 Damascus, Knew Concepts 8 inch Fretsaw, Knew Concepts 5 inch Titanium Fretsaw, Hammer K3 48x48, Hammer A3 31
Old 06-26-2009, 10:26 PM

My Festool dealer has a wonderful display of about 30 BC Tools. Seems he had to buy the display when he became a retailer for them a while back. Only one problem; one month later BCTW decided to become a direct sales only enterprise. My dealer has a collection he paid high dollar for and does not want. I guess he should sell 'em on Ebay.

BCTW should have credited him and allowed a return shen they changed their business model.
Old 06-26-2009, 10:31 PM
Founding Member

I agree, BCTW should have bought the tools back. Not from a dealer who's had a chance to use them to sell, but the guy who just signed up a month ago should be let off the hook.

BCTW could have then sold the, probably at a better price than he can.

Ned
Old 06-26-2009, 11:02 PM
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NedYoung View Post
I agree, BCTW should have bought the tools back. Not from a dealer who's had a chance to use them to sell, but the guy who just signed up a month ago should be let off the hook.

BCTW could have then sold the, probably at a better price than he can.

Ned
Ned & Greg,

I agree with the whole concept of someone who had just signed a month ago should have the opportunity to return them. However, Protooceandude and I have been watching for months on ebay and those people almost every time sell the BCTW tools for far above the retail cost when they were being sold by BCTW.

Fred