talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Manufacturers & Vendors of Fine Tools > Bridge City Tool Works

Bridge City Tool Works For the past twenty-five years we have been producing innovative and impeccably crafted heirloom tools for serious woodworkers and collectors worldwide. Made in America, all of our tools are produced in limited numbers and with minimal care should continue to inspire your children's children. I believe the look, feel and accuracy of each Bridge City tool will always influence you to do your best work. Quality is contagious. Regards, John Economaki President & Founder

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-24-2009, 09:04 PM

Default Re: New Mystery Tool from Bridge City

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poto View Post
Geez Roger! If you'd told me, I could have won one! Check out John's blog at BCT - someone figured out what it was, describing it with the obscure:

Use me once
and I’ll flip for you.

Use me twice
and I’ll be a-gap-ed,

I’m a perfect device!

Apparently that was enough to win a prize...
.......that's odd I just logged on to his blog and didn't see the above quote.

Last edited by RogerSavatteri; 06-25-2009 at 07:40 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 06-24-2009, 11:55 PM
Super Moderator

We have faster electrons down here in San Diego...
Old 06-25-2009, 12:33 AM
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poto View Post
We have faster electrons down here in San Diego...
Faster electrons or not, do you know what she be?

Fred
Kapex, OF2200,Domino,TS 75, Trion PS 300, RO 150, RO 90, ETS 150/5, ETS 150/3, DTS 400, RS 400, LS 130, RS 2, Deltex 93, RAS 115, CT 33, CT 22, CT 26 CT Midi, OF 1400, MFK 700, C 12, LR 32 3, Shinex, MFT/3s, 3 MFT 1080s, WCR 1000, UG-KA-SET, 10 Sysports, 2 Walko's, Marcou's J20A, S20A, M12, S45, S55A, VSP 40, Brese 650-55J, Sauer & Steiner XSNo.4, SS Jointer, A5 Desert Ironwood and #4 Damascus, Knew Concepts 8 inch Fretsaw, Knew Concepts 5 inch Titanium Fretsaw, Hammer K3 48x48, Hammer A3 31
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 06-25-2009, 12:55 AM

Location: 41°N 79°W One of the Thirteen Original Colonies of the United States of America

What if there was a tool that instead of measuring all you needed to do was gauge? So we built a prototype and all I can say is you will want one, maybe two, and this want will hurt real bad until the little Bridge City box shows up on your doorstep. Here’s why…
If you have a table saw, router table, radial arm saw, chop saw, band saw, JMP, or any other tool that makes a kerf 1/2″ or less, this device will blow your mind. Please don’t try to send us any money–they are not for sale yet!

Is this cool or WHAT?
REAL LIFE EXAMPLE #1: You are making drawers with veneered ply bottoms. Plywood is like snowflakes–no two sheets are the same thickness. So you cut your bottoms and it is time to cut the grooves in the four drawer pieces. Depending on your drawer, you will likely use a router, router table, table saw or–our HP-6 hand plane. Either case, our new secret weapon will work wonders. Here’s how.
All you need to do is gauge the thickness (you DO NOT MEASURE SQUAT) of the plywood with the tool (it’s so easy even YOU could do it), tighten the knob and this creates an offset at one end of the tool that represents the outer boundaries of your kerf within one or two thousandths of an inch of your ply thickness! The tool then lays on it’s side and acts as a flip stop against a reference. The days of widening a kerf by test cuts is OVER. As in F-O-R-E-V-E-R.
We will demonstrate this via video in the coming days. If your drawer sides are cross-grain grooved at the rear to accept the tenons of a rebate cut on each end of the drawer back, it doesn’t matter what the thickness of the tenon–you gauge and cut–no measuring and I GUARANTEE YOU CANNOT SCREW THIS UP!

This is no pre-game seven Stanley Cup boast made by an overpaid, loudmouth athelete-this is a REAL LIFE boast made by an underpaid loudmouth toolmaker–furthermore book it–I guarantee a gallery quality cut. Did I mention you cannot screw this up–ever?
Is this cool or what?

REAL LIFE EXAMPLE #2: Many think I am nuts, and they are getting warmer. That said, I am actually making a gallery piece out of coffee stirrers that I rescue. OK, I steal them–and I ask first even though I am a charm school flunky. This material is approx. .050″ thick and the joint possibilities are limited–primarily cross and half laps. Not easy. Oops, it is now. Film to follow.
There are other examples but the video will spare you from me. Coming soon. –John
Old 06-25-2009, 05:57 AM
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RONWEN View Post
What if there was a tool that instead of measuring all you needed to do was gauge? So we built a prototype and all I can say is you will want one, maybe two, and this want will hurt real bad until the little Bridge City box shows up on your doorstep. Here’s why…
If you have a table saw, router table, radial arm saw, chop saw, band saw, JMP, or any other tool that makes a kerf 1/2″ or less, this device will blow your mind. Please don’t try to send us any money–they are not for sale yet!

Is this cool or WHAT?
REAL LIFE EXAMPLE #1: You are making drawers with veneered ply bottoms. Plywood is like snowflakes–no two sheets are the same thickness. So you cut your bottoms and it is time to cut the grooves in the four drawer pieces. Depending on your drawer, you will likely use a router, router table, table saw or–our HP-6 hand plane. Either case, our new secret weapon will work wonders. Here’s how.
All you need to do is gauge the thickness (you DO NOT MEASURE SQUAT) of the plywood with the tool (it’s so easy even YOU could do it), tighten the knob and this creates an offset at one end of the tool that represents the outer boundaries of your kerf within one or two thousandths of an inch of your ply thickness! The tool then lays on it’s side and acts as a flip stop against a reference. The days of widening a kerf by test cuts is OVER. As in F-O-R-E-V-E-R.
We will demonstrate this via video in the coming days. If your drawer sides are cross-grain grooved at the rear to accept the tenons of a rebate cut on each end of the drawer back, it doesn’t matter what the thickness of the tenon–you gauge and cut–no measuring and I GUARANTEE YOU CANNOT SCREW THIS UP!

This is no pre-game seven Stanley Cup boast made by an overpaid, loudmouth athelete-this is a REAL LIFE boast made by an underpaid loudmouth toolmaker–furthermore book it–I guarantee a gallery quality cut. Did I mention you cannot screw this up–ever?
Is this cool or what?

REAL LIFE EXAMPLE #2: Many think I am nuts, and they are getting warmer. That said, I am actually making a gallery piece out of coffee stirrers that I rescue. OK, I steal them–and I ask first even though I am a charm school flunky. This material is approx. .050″ thick and the joint possibilities are limited–primarily cross and half laps. Not easy. Oops, it is now. Film to follow.
There are other examples but the video will spare you from me. Coming soon. –John

I want six of them just cause and, and, and I want them now. They look cool and I don't know who Michael is but what a nice hand.

WOW, I almost completely fell under the BCTW spell. Phew, I only need three and could care less about the hand.

Fred
Kapex, OF2200,Domino,TS 75, Trion PS 300, RO 150, RO 90, ETS 150/5, ETS 150/3, DTS 400, RS 400, LS 130, RS 2, Deltex 93, RAS 115, CT 33, CT 22, CT 26 CT Midi, OF 1400, MFK 700, C 12, LR 32 3, Shinex, MFT/3s, 3 MFT 1080s, WCR 1000, UG-KA-SET, 10 Sysports, 2 Walko's, Marcou's J20A, S20A, M12, S45, S55A, VSP 40, Brese 650-55J, Sauer & Steiner XSNo.4, SS Jointer, A5 Desert Ironwood and #4 Damascus, Knew Concepts 8 inch Fretsaw, Knew Concepts 5 inch Titanium Fretsaw, Hammer K3 48x48, Hammer A3 31
Old 06-25-2009, 12:27 PM

Location: 41°N 79°W One of the Thirteen Original Colonies of the United States of America

CLEVER marketing -- as the tension builds...

Much more effective than just having this gizmo pop-up on the website for sale.

...I want four (4) and I want them first!
Old 06-25-2009, 12:55 PM

I still dont get it but I'm going to order 2 anyway. Im still kicking myself for not ordering the DJ-1.

I love the Bridge City Tools but hate their business model. I couldnt afford to put down the money for the DJ1 but now I can. It annoys the heck out of me that the DJ1 will probably never be produced again but there is still demand. Plus if they kept on producing it they could never justify there extremely high prices. Thus by only doing a one time run on the tools it inflates costs passed on to the buyers. As a proffessional woodworker I dont ever see being able to justify the cost of a BCT plane. I dont know where some people are getting the funds to pay for these extravagant tools but I wager that its not from the money made from pushing chisels though wood.
Old 06-25-2009, 03:03 PM

Couldn't agree more Eiji

Jay
Old 06-25-2009, 03:31 PM
Administrator

Me too!!
Old 06-25-2009, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EijiFuller View Post
I still dont get it but I'm going to order 2 anyway. Im still kicking myself for not ordering the DJ-1.

I love the Bridge City Tools but hate their business model. I couldnt afford to put down the money for the DJ1 but now I can. It annoys the heck out of me that the DJ1 will probably never be produced again but there is still demand. Plus if they kept on producing it they could never justify there extremely high prices. Thus by only doing a one time run on the tools it inflates costs passed on to the buyers. As a proffessional woodworker I dont ever see being able to justify the cost of a BCT plane. I dont know where some people are getting the funds to pay for these extravagant tools but I wager that its not from the money made from pushing chisels though wood.
I use all of my Bridge City tools with the same regard as any of my other tools. I think in many (most?) cases people buy them as an investment & so they never get used. I've still much to learn about planes and chisels but life's experience tells me that a professional can end up with every bit as much quality in a furniture piece using much less expensive tools. i.e. Sam Maloof even though he was given expensive tools most often used simple, cheap tools like a wooden yard stick for laying out radii & drawing with chalk on the floor.