talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Manufacturers & Vendors of Fine Tools > Bridge City Tool Works

Bridge City Tool Works For the past twenty-five years we have been producing innovative and impeccably crafted heirloom tools for serious woodworkers and collectors worldwide. Made in America, all of our tools are produced in limited numbers and with minimal care should continue to inspire your children's children. I believe the look, feel and accuracy of each Bridge City tool will always influence you to do your best work. Quality is contagious. Regards, John Economaki President & Founder

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-06-2009, 10:57 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to Philip Marcou
Default Re: there they go again..... Bridge City Tools

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poto View Post
Philip, I think that the prices you quoted are for half the cost of the drilling jig. That was just the cost of getting your name on the list. Then you had to pay another amount to pay the full cost.

It's still a pretty cool tool, and I think Bridge City tools are well worth the cost. Just like, say, a Marcou plane.

Without holes...
Can I charge extra for holes- I have nice ones in stock
My friend has several BCT items so he is probably a member of the Inner Circle-might even have a hot line to the Pope himself
" Just like, say, a Marcou plane. " I will engage the services of an Independent Firm to confirm that costs and value are well matched
Old 09-06-2009, 11:49 AM

Location: 41N 79W One of the Thirteen Original Colonies of the United States of America

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip Marcou View Post
That is amazing: I did the very same mistake on the first military chest I made-which I still have , right here. And those were hand cut-see the pictures.Being at the back nobody would notice apart from other woodworms.
The small drawers use Cypress for backs, the larger use Jacaranda.
That chest was my first real project when I was about 20 years old-no power tools except for a small Inca jointer and a small table saw.
That cat....... will try to get into ANYTHING, but anything. A good way to find her is to open something- I always close the lavatory seat cover otherwise she might jump in there too....
Hey Philip,
That's a beautiful chest that you built. We'll keep your mistake a secret between just the two of us. It's a good looking cat too, he (she?) probably makes a great companion for you as you work, making sure that you don't make any mistakes on the dovetails on your planes. And it's name is...?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 09-06-2009, 12:30 PM

Location: 41N 79W One of the Thirteen Original Colonies of the United States of America

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip Marcou View Post
Can I charge extra for holes- I have nice ones in stock
My friend has several BCT items so he is probably a member of the Inner Circle-might even have a hot line to the Pope himself
" Just like, say, a Marcou plane. " I will engage the services of an Independent Firm to confirm that costs and value are well matched
Our local donut shop does a nice business selling the donut "holes" along with the donuts -- some people buy just the holes.

The BCT DJ-1 is a very nicely made tool, worth every penny of the price.

Your plane step by step process guide (on another thread) really helps enlighten us as to all of the blood, sweat & maybe even tears that go into your beautiful planes. It also demonstrates the amount of time it takes you to create such beautiful tools. I really enjoy using finely crafted tools & I hope to be the proud owner of some of your planes after I learn some more about woodworking and get a few more "mistakes" behind me.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 09-06-2009, 02:18 PM

Ron,

I got my DJ-1 a couple days ago. Seems like a really nice tool. I may go out in the shop today and drill some holes and find a home to store it. I am slowly working on a couple projects (cherry chest and a cradle) that require dovetails and I'm going to try using tapered dovetail splines instead of traditional dovetails. I plan on putting the case sides together with a mitered corner and dominoes first, then cut in the tapered dovetails with the Kehoe jig.

Kapex, Domino, Trion PS 300, RO 150, ETS 150/3, Deltex 93, 2 CT 33's, OF 1400, MFT/3...
Old 09-06-2009, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnagle View Post
Ron,

I got my DJ-1 a couple days ago. Seems like a really nice tool. I may go out in the shop today and drill some holes and find a home to store it. I am slowly working on a couple projects (cherry chest and a cradle) that require dovetails and I'm going to try using tapered dovetail splines instead of traditional dovetails. I plan on putting the case sides together with a mitered corner and dominoes first, then cut in the tapered dovetails with the Kehoe jig.
Hey Wayne,
Are you building that cradle that you posted awhile back with the angled spindles and top rail that curved in a couple of directions? if so, please start a thread on the construction progress. That think has all kinds of learning opportunities in building it.

I'm very pleased with the DJ-1, it will get lots of use. I think the DJ-2 should include adjustable drill bushing spacing -- great for drilling cabinet handle holes.
Old 09-06-2009, 03:46 PM

Yes, a DJ-2 would be neat if the bushings adjusted from the center in both directions. It could be designed to add the other axis to the DJ-1 or as a separate unit. I'm not in a hurry though, between Festool, and Bridge City and being off work for my surgery, I'm maintaining a "broke" status. My back is healing nicely, I've started back to a light workout and will be back to work in a about two weeks.

It's a shame with all the time off, between lack of funds and a healing back, I haven't been able to take advantage of the nice mild summer weather we've had. Today will be my first day back in the shop since June 1st.

Kapex, Domino, Trion PS 300, RO 150, ETS 150/3, Deltex 93, 2 CT 33's, OF 1400, MFT/3...
Old 09-06-2009, 05:55 PM

That's great to hear Wayne. Hopefully you'll get to feeling like you are 25 again.

I think that I'll play with making a little adjustable stop fixture to go along with the DJ-1 so it will quickly locate the (2) holes in the "X" axis.
I'll use the DJ-1 often & my drill press less once I get some more drill bushings.

And is the cradle the same as you were thinking of building before?
Old 09-06-2009, 08:31 PM

Ron,

I'm building a simpler design cradle presently. I think I'll save the difficult cradle for my daughter if and when. May's well save the fancy schmancy stuff for family.

The cradle I'm working on now is going to be a surprise gift for a girl I work with and is a shaker style. I'm still working on the templates and I think I'm going to make it out of some highly figured cherry.

Old 09-06-2009, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnagle View Post
Ron,

I'm building a simpler design cradle presently. I think I'll save the difficult cradle for my daughter if and when. May's well save the fancy schmancy stuff for family.

The cradle I'm working on now is going to be a surprise gift for a girl I work with and is a shaker style. I'm still working on the templates and I think I'm going to make it out of some highly figured cherry.
As I remember that original one has some very interesting challenges that I would like to tackle or better yet see how experts approach it. Didn't Roger or perhaps Jerry Work give some thoughts on it also?
Old 09-06-2009, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RONWEN View Post
As I remember that original one has some very interesting challenges that I would like to tackle or better yet see how experts approach it. Didn't Roger or perhaps Jerry Work give some thoughts on it also?
This all sounds familiar, but much like that dream you had during the night but in the morning upon waking in just a little out of reach.

What was the design challange in this case?

p.s. I don't know about that term expert, far too much pressure.