talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Manufacturers & Vendors of Fine Tools > Bridge City Tool Works

Bridge City Tool Works For the past twenty-five years we have been producing innovative and impeccably crafted heirloom tools for serious woodworkers and collectors worldwide. Made in America, all of our tools are produced in limited numbers and with minimal care should continue to inspire your children's children. I believe the look, feel and accuracy of each Bridge City tool will always influence you to do your best work. Quality is contagious. Regards, John Economaki President & Founder

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-05-2009, 10:36 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to Philip Marcou
Default Re: there they go again..... Bridge City Tools

[quote=RogerSavatteri;23452].

Peter,

You probably better not watch this.

Here's what a friend of mine says:
"
On the BCT thread... the very interesting jig is only $249, will be on
sale for $199.... and already $199 for members.... quite an impressive
tool for the cost...and yet, many people scream about the price.... that
IMO is why BCT is in financial trouble... they do an amazing job
making new and innovative tools, but the hobbiest is used to Porter
Cable, DeWalt, even Festool, where they can really make parts ultra
cheap in Taiwain as they have the volume to wave a big stick at the
subs.... BCT does not have that level of volume, everything is made in
the USA by a single subcontractor... of course, they can't sell at BORG
prices...

I hope I am wrong about BCT, I want them to survive... John E. is
brilliant and thinks outside the box...he simply does not get the credit
he deserves for the innovations he has created in a field that has not
changed much in a hundred years..... its hard to create anything new in
such a mature industry...

So what are the opinions of the assembled cognoscenti?
( I agree with my friend)
Old 09-05-2009, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poto View Post
Cool! Now you can drill holes in your Marcou!
People have been shot at dawn for suggestions like that....
Be that as it may, there are plenty of holes in a Marcou,but all are filled with something.
Come to think of it, some blind holes in the sole may be something to think about.....
Old 09-05-2009, 03:30 PM

Location: The northernmost end of the southernmost county of New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip Marcou View Post
Be that as it may, there are plenty of holes in a Marcou,but all are filled with something.
Come to think of it, some blind holes in the sole may be something to think about.....
?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 09-05-2009, 04:05 PM
Super Moderator

Philip, I think that the prices you quoted are for half the cost of the drilling jig. That was just the cost of getting your name on the list. Then you had to pay another amount to pay the full cost.

It's still a pretty cool tool, and I think Bridge City tools are well worth the cost. Just like, say, a Marcou plane.

Without holes...
Old 09-05-2009, 06:07 PM

Location: 41N 79W One of the Thirteen Original Colonies of the United States of America

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okami View Post
That sounds great Ron! I hope You take a few pictures and post them
I think the saw is a very good choice to start out cutting dovetails it's very easy to use. I like to cut the Tails first, then mark out the Pins from the Tails.
I'd really like to make a nice cabinet for hand tools...I also want to make another bench. Like You said Ron, shop cabinets and the like are perfect for learning new skills
I can't get that Marcou out of My head I was using my veritas planes today to shoot in some Cabinet doors. They shave very well, but after having a good look at these Marcou's, I'm left wondering what they must be like to use John, we need pictures of the Marcou making curlies:sdrool:
Cheers!
Okami

OK, Your experienced eyes will spot right away a mistake that I made with the two lower large drawers. Actually, my son who knows very little about woodworking spotted it right off. It was one of the basics that I learned the very first thing.
I did the dovetails on the top six drawers first & by that time I was just cruising along in "auto-pilot" not thinking and made a basic mistake on the bottom drawers... I don't think that wouldn't happen if I were carefully cutting each one by hand. Oh well, with today's glues I'm not sure it's as much of an issue as in "the old days".
Attached Thumbnails
there-they-go-again-bridge-city-img_1568.jpg   there-they-go-again-bridge-city-img_1569.jpg   there-they-go-again-bridge-city-img_1570.jpg   there-they-go-again-bridge-city-img_1571.jpg  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 09-05-2009, 06:21 PM

Location: 41N 79W One of the Thirteen Original Colonies of the United States of America

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip Marcou View Post
...For weight reduction?

I just received my BCT drill jig and it's a really beautiful tool. It will be very useful for many applications.

I can make a suggestion for version #2 (DJ-2) whenever they design it -- If they would make the spacing adjustable between the two drill bushing centers it would be very handy for cabinetmakers to drill the holes for installing cabinet (handles) hardware. There doesn't seem to be a standard dimension for the spacing and no doubt somebody already makes a specific jig for it but it would just be a nice added feature on the DJ-2. I'm very pleased with the tool & as usual BCT did a great job on quality.

Last edited by RONWEN; 09-06-2009 at 03:56 AM.
Old 09-05-2009, 08:36 PM

Location: The northernmost end of the southernmost county of New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by RONWEN View Post
OK, Your experienced eyes will spot right away a mistake that I made with the two lower large drawers. Actually, my son who knows very little about woodworking spotted it right off. It was one of the basics that I learned the very first thing.
I did the dovetails on the top six drawers first & by that time I was just cruising along in "auto-pilot" not thinking and made a basic mistake on the bottom drawers... I don't think that wouldn't happen if I were carefully cutting each one by hand. Oh well, with today's glues I'm not sure it's as much of an issue as in "the old days".
Yaller glue'll fix it.

Unless you forget to add glue dovetails are mostly decorative.
Old 09-05-2009, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelKellough View Post
Yaller glue'll fix it.

Unless you forget to add glue dovetails are mostly decorative.
Yep, Titebond III will keep the drawer fronts very secure. From everything that I've read & learned, even though dovetails are hundreds of years old they truly are one of the strongest joints you can make -- but on through dovetails the tails ALWAYS go on the drawer sides and the pins on the drawer fronts (for obvious reasons).
On my last cabinet I used 1/2 baltic birch ply with the new 4mm Domino tenons (I'm already on my 2nd. 450 piece bag of tenons) and some Kreg pocket screws -- they came out very nice and quick to build.
I wanted to try (router) finger joints using the 1/2" ply but I seemed to get quite a bit of tear-out even using Freud spiral up & spiral down cutters. I may try that again making a cabinet & drawers for under my Kreg router table. This time I'll try it with some scrap backup pieces to see if I can reduce the tear-out.

Now, if I get a couple of good planes I could resaw some Poplar to 1/2" and see how that works out both with finger joints and dovetails.

Last edited by RONWEN; 09-06-2009 at 04:16 AM.
Old 09-06-2009, 12:20 AM

Okami has asked for a few pictures of my cabinet. I really don't want to hijack this thread, perhaps one of the administrators can move them to a proper spot?

Here are a few more:
Attached Thumbnails
there-they-go-again-bridge-city-img_1573.jpg   there-they-go-again-bridge-city-img_1574.jpg   there-they-go-again-bridge-city-img_1575.jpg   there-they-go-again-bridge-city-img_1576.jpg   there-they-go-again-bridge-city-img_1577.jpg  

there-they-go-again-bridge-city-img_1578.jpg   there-they-go-again-bridge-city-img_1579.jpg   there-they-go-again-bridge-city-img_1580.jpg   there-they-go-again-bridge-city-img_1581.jpg  
Old 09-06-2009, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RONWEN View Post
OK, Your experienced eyes will spot right away a mistake that I made with the two lower large drawers.
.. I don't think that wouldn't happen if I were carefully cutting each one by hand. Oh well, with today's glues I'm not sure it's as much of an issue as in "the old days".
That is amazing: I did the very same mistake on the first military chest I made-which I still have , right here. And those were hand cut-see the pictures.Being at the back nobody would notice apart from other woodworms.
The small drawers use Cypress for backs, the larger use Jacaranda.
That chest was my first real project when I was about 20 years old-no power tools except for a small Inca jointer and a small table saw.
That cat....... will try to get into ANYTHING, but anything. A good way to find her is to open something- I always close the lavatory seat cover otherwise she might jump in there too....
Attached Thumbnails
there-they-go-again-bridge-city-p9060048.jpg   there-they-go-again-bridge-city-p9060049.jpg   there-they-go-again-bridge-city-p9060050.jpg   there-they-go-again-bridge-city-p9060051.jpg  

Last edited by Philip Marcou; 09-06-2009 at 10:50 AM.