talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Manufacturers & Vendors of Fine Tools > Bridge City Tool Works

Bridge City Tool Works For the past twenty-five years we have been producing innovative and impeccably crafted heirloom tools for serious woodworkers and collectors worldwide. Made in America, all of our tools are produced in limited numbers and with minimal care should continue to inspire your children's children. I believe the look, feel and accuracy of each Bridge City tool will always influence you to do your best work. Quality is contagious. Regards, John Economaki President & Founder

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-27-2009, 04:36 AM

Default Re: there they go again..... Bridge City Tools

Has anyone ever used one of these? I have it on my list... one of there not so expensive tools...

Bridge City Tool Works - FC-1 Flushing Chisel

Kapex, Domino, Trion PS 300, RO 150, ETS 150/3, Deltex 93, 2 CT 33's, OF 1400, MFT/3...
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 04-27-2009, 04:40 AM
Super Moderator

I just got one of those about 3 weeks ago. It's startlingly beautiful, and surprisingly small. For my small hands, it holds perfectly. I sure wouldn't want to drop it on a toe - it's scary sharp, and amazingly heavy for such a small tool.

That being said, I haven't had a chance to use it yet! Sure is pretty, though...
Old 04-27-2009, 04:50 AM

Poto,

Let me know how it works out for you... I have to wait to order it, it is out of stock I believe. I wonder how well it will work on end grain protruding dowels.

Kapex, Domino, Trion PS 300, RO 150, ETS 150/3, Deltex 93, 2 CT 33's, OF 1400, MFT/3...
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 04-27-2009, 06:03 AM
Super Moderator

Hey Wayne - I'm thinking you're out of luck. BCT almost never brings tools back into production (that I'm aware of). I think they're just taunting you on their web site. I've been waiting a year for the MG-3 to be made again, and I don't think it's going to happen. You need to start surfing ebay (or making me obscene offers of cash).

I don't think the flushing plane will cut through a dowel (which is one of the things that I was hoping it would do). I do think it would score around a dowel nicely so that the dowel wouldn't splinter when you use some other means of cutting it. I bought the LV flush-cut saw - a flexible blade with no set to the teeth on one side. I'm thinking of using that to get dowels close to flush, and then planing them down with a low-angle block plane.

But I'm looking forward to being proved wrong. I can hardly wait to use this tool! It would probably work well with long-grain plugs, which I use a lot.
Old 04-27-2009, 06:13 AM

I like to use miller step dowels and currently flush cut and plane or sand. I tried leveling with a LN butt plane but that didn't really work well either.

So their "Notify me when this is back in stock" is just teasing me? That's not nice!

Old 04-27-2009, 06:34 AM

I wondered what become of them. I thought maybe they were gone, who can afford that stuff anymore? There must be someone still willing to pay. They use to send brochures to me but I couldn't see, what was it $700 for a rabbit plane? I can buy a lot of router bits for that.

Mark
Old 09-04-2009, 02:43 AM
Administrator

OMG, I just found a DJ-1 sitting on my front porch.

Very, very nice!
Old 09-04-2009, 02:47 AM

Location: 41N 79W One of the Thirteen Original Colonies of the United States of America

Mine isn't due until Sept. 8.
Old 09-04-2009, 02:47 AM

Mine will be here tomorrow according to fedex! I can't wait...

Old 09-04-2009, 02:50 AM
Administrator

Except for a sharpening guide, this is my first BCT tool.

The quality is very impressive. Even the box screams quality.