talkFestool

talkFestool (http://www.talkfestool.com/vb/)
-   Bridge City Tool Works (http://www.talkfestool.com/vb/bridge-city-tool-works/)
-   -   Does anyone have any Bridge City tools? (http://www.talkfestool.com/vb/bridge-city-tool-works/1208-does-anyone-have-any-bridge-city.html)

Poto 11-22-2008 07:34 AM

Does anyone have any Bridge City tools?

I've been drooling over the Bridge City Toolworks web site. Have you ever seen a more beautiful, artistic shoulder plane? These look like astounding tools. But I'm curious if anyone's used them. For now, at least, they're well beyond what I'm willing to pay for a tool (okay - about 3x more). But such design and workmanship. Do they work as well as they look?

Anyone saving up for the Jointmaker Pro? Fred? John? Or is it too small, light, quiet, and non-electric for you?

FredWest 11-22-2008 05:23 PM

Re: Does anyone have any Bridge City tools?

Petrat,

I too think the Bridge City planes look incredible. I do not own one and think that I might be reluctant to actually use it as they are so beautiful. :D:D However, I do know a couple of guys over on Wood Central that own them and they swear by them.

As far as the Jointmaker Pro goes I can honestly say I have never paid much attention to it at all. Not really sure whay but there ya gots it. BIG Big GrinBig eekBig eekBIG Big Grin

Fred

joraft 11-22-2008 05:38 PM

I took a serious look at the Jointmaker Pro, but decided it was not for me.

I think it would be a great tool for someone who builds small projects, such miniatures or boxes.

FredWest 11-23-2008 12:38 AM

John,

As I really know nothing about it is it really just designed for model, miniature or small project work? I thought I had heard or read that it was supposed to be good for any size project???

Fred

Poto 11-23-2008 12:54 AM

John Economaki is marketing it as a table saw for people/countries that have electrical power issues. According to his blog, he was a big hit in Japan (it would be good for making shoji screens), and countries like Guatemala are interested in it. While it's small, I think it could do a lot of things a table saw could do. Though I wouldn't want to cut a panel on it...

How 'bout that Bridge City fox shoulder plane? I'd love to hold one of those in my hands, just to see how it feels.

joraft 11-23-2008 01:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FredWest (Post 13100)

As I really know nothing about it is it really just designed for model, miniature or small project work? I thought I had heard or read that it was supposed to be good for any size project???

Fred, that's just my opinion, but take look at it. You move the material back and forth across a stationary blade. How big a piece would you want to cut that way?

After watching it being used, my conclusion is that it is a fine tool for making very precise cuts in fairly small material.

http://www.bridgecitytools.com/image..._jmp_front.jpg

joraft 11-23-2008 01:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Poto (Post 13103)

... How 'bout that Bridge City fox shoulder plane? I'd love to hold one of those in my hands, just to see how it feels.

Such a reckless act could be very dangerous to your wallet. :)

Poto 11-23-2008 02:07 AM

You're absolutely right, John. So how'd you like to buy one for me? :o

FredWest 11-23-2008 02:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joraft (Post 13108)
Such a reckless act could be very dangerous to your wallet. :)

John,

But that is our Pluto, he is a dangerous lad and needs to be reined in every so often but that is okay. :D:D:D

After looking at the Jointmaker Pro it does appear to be much better for small projects.

Fred

joraft 11-23-2008 03:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Poto (Post 13110)

You're absolutely right, John. So how'd you like to buy one for me? :o

You got it, Peter, I'll put it on the list. It'll be one of the very next things I order.

I should point out though, with a couple of recent purchases I have blown my tool budget for the next 27 years. I won't be ordering anything until that time. :)