talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Manufacturers & Vendors of Fine Tools > Brese Plane

Brese Plane Fine Hand Planes by Ron Brese

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-12-2009, 03:11 AM

Default Small Smoother progression

Fred has been pestering me..........I mean asking me to do a progression post on one of my planes and I think he really wanted me to do one on the plane that he has on order. I 've been working on small smoother bodies this week so I thought this may be a good time to start on this project. The first picture is of the parts of small smoother body. The brass sides with the lever cap hole already located and the back and front section of the sole with the bed angle already milled and lapped and the escapement angle already ground and lapped on the front section of the sole.

The second picture shows the fastener used in the threaded rivet system of assembling a plane body. This piece is made from brass hex bar and has a 60 degree included countersink. It is integrated into the side of the sole by way of a threaded hole and at final installation is locked using an industrial epoxy as a thread locker. The steeper pitch of the 60 degree included countersink along with any fit space being filled with thread lock at final installation doesn't allow any movement of the pieces when permanently assembled.

The third picture shows the parts carefully located on a former and positioned in the milling vise. When I say carefully positioned I mean if the parts aren't located correctly at this stage they never will be. I build planes from the back to the front so the end of the plane side has to align precisely with the end of the sole and the mouth opening of the plane is set precisely at .255. At this point they have been counterbored with a spotting drill, drilled for the correct depth and tapped. All the hole locations you see have to be hit perfectly 3 times each, that's 60 accurate locations on a small smoother body that are located within a half thousandth on every positioning.

The fourth picture shows one side complete with all the pins installed.

The fifth pictures shows both sides completed with all the pins installed.

I little in between the picture information. Given that thread cutting lubricant is used for many of these operations all the pins holes have to be flushed clean with denatured alcohol prior to installing the pins with the thread locker. There are a few little tricks that I use to make the plane side meet perfectly with the side of the sole, but hey,....I can't give away all my secrets.

The next step will be a magic trick...(well it seem like magic to me and I've done it a bunch of times and I still get excited when it happens) I will make the pins disappear. The next post will show the removal of most of the head of the fastener, the peining to make it fit perfectly in the countersink and then milling them flush and lapping the sides until the pins are no longer apparent.

The next post may be a couple of days away, tomorrow a new milling machine will be arriving and I'll be tied up a couple of days with moving it into the shop and setting it up.

Thanks for looking,

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
small-smoother-progression-dsc02147.jpg   small-smoother-progression-dsc02154.jpg   small-smoother-progression-dsc02144.jpg   small-smoother-progression-dsc02151.jpg   small-smoother-progression-dsc02158.jpg  

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11-12-2009, 03:52 AM
Super Moderator

Default Re: Small Smoother progression

This is really cool, Ron. Thanks so much for sharing this with us. That plane looks pretty wild with all the bolts sticking out of it. Looking forward to seeing the progression!

Old 11-12-2009, 04:08 AM

Location: The northernmost end of the southernmost county of New York

I remember you said screws joined the sides to the sole but I wasn't thinking of these custom bolts! What is the thread size?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11-12-2009, 12:35 PM

Michael,

The pins are 8-32. It looks a bit like a Franken plane at this stage. Everything after this is refinement to make it look a lot more elegant. The next few processes really make for some dramatic changes.

This process allows for the assembly of an incredibly accurate and incredibly rigid plane body which in turn makes it easier to fit the infill. One things sort of feeds the next process as it progresses. I've been revising and refining this process for quit a while now. At one point I used a template board that required one to align scribe lines in order to hit the multiple locations required for all the pins, but I knew as I got older that this was going to become increasingly difficult so now the process is facilitated by a DRO. Math doesn't lie, if you run the calculations properly.

Ron
Old 11-12-2009, 02:35 PM

No one will begrudge your upgrade to DRO

How thick is that sole plate? Looks like at least 3/8".

Thanks for posting this stuff Ron. It's very very interesting.
Old 11-12-2009, 05:03 PM
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBrese View Post
Fred has been pestering me..........I mean asking me to do a progression post on one of my planes and I think he really wanted me to do one on the plane that he has on order. I 've been working on small smoother bodies this week so I thought this may be a good time to start on this project. The first picture is of the parts of small smoother body. The brass sides with the lever cap hole already located and the back and front section of the sole with the bed angle already milled and lapped and the escapement angle already ground and lapped on the front section of the sole.

The second picture shows the fastener used in the threaded rivet system of assembling a plane body. This piece is made from brass hex bar and has a 60 degree included countersink. It is integrated into the side of the sole by way of a threaded hole and at final installation is locked using an industrial epoxy as a thread locker. The steeper pitch of the 60 degree included countersink along with any fit space being filled with thread lock at final installation doesn't allow any movement of the pieces when permanently assembled.

The third picture shows the parts carefully located on a former and positioned in the milling vise. When I say carefully positioned I mean if the parts aren't located correctly at this stage they never will be. I build planes from the back to the front so the end of the plane side has to align precisely with the end of the sole and the mouth opening of the plane is set precisely at .255. At this point they have been counterbored with a spotting drill, drilled for the correct depth and tapped. All the hole locations you see have to be hit perfectly 3 times each, that's 60 accurate locations on a small smoother body that are located within a half thousandth on every positioning.

The fourth picture shows one side complete with all the pins installed.

The fifth pictures shows both sides completed with all the pins installed.

I little in between the picture information. Given that thread cutting lubricant is used for many of these operations all the pins holes have to be flushed clean with denatured alcohol prior to installing the pins with the thread locker. There are a few little tricks that I use to make the plane side meet perfectly with the side of the sole, but hey,....I can't give away all my secrets.

The next step will be a magic trick...(well it seem like magic to me and I've done it a bunch of times and I still get excited when it happens) I will make the pins disappear. The next post will show the removal of most of the head of the fastener, the peining to make it fit perfectly in the countersink and then milling them flush and lapping the sides until the pins are no longer apparent.

The next post may be a couple of days away, tomorrow a new milling machine will be arriving and I'll be tied up a couple of days with moving it into the shop and setting it up.

Thanks for looking,

Ron
Ron,

Thank you so much for posting the pictures and narrative. Now, let's please get this straight. I do not bug, pester, nudge or anything else of that ilk. What I actually do is gently inquire as to the possibility of seeing some of the pictures and narrative. My inquiry is, of course, done in the most cordial and pleasing manner. I hope this helps you all see the minor mistake that Ron made in his description of my interaction with him.

Ron, thank you so much for posting this. I really love watching how you all proceed to the end product. The one smoother you are showing, also known as mine, is just slightly more beautiful than the rest of them will ever be.

Fred
Kapex, OF2200,Domino,TS 75, Trion PS 300, RO 150, RO 90, ETS 150/5, ETS 150/3, DTS 400, RS 400, LS 130, RS 2, Deltex 93, RAS 115, CT 33, CT 22, CT 26 CT Midi, OF 1400, MFK 700, C 12, LR 32 3, Shinex, MFT/3s, 3 MFT 1080s, WCR 1000, UG-KA-SET, 10 Sysports, 2 Walko's, Marcou's J20A, S20A, M12, S45, S55A, VSP 40, Brese 650-55J, Sauer & Steiner XSNo.4, SS Jointer, A5 Desert Ironwood and #4 Damascus, Knew Concepts 8 inch Fretsaw, Knew Concepts 5 inch Titanium Fretsaw, Hammer K3 48x48, Hammer A3 31
Old 11-12-2009, 05:05 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredWest View Post
Ron,

Thank you so much for posting the pictures and narrative. Now, let's please get this straight. I do not bug, pester, nudge or anything else of that ilk. What I actually do is gently inquire as to the possibility of seeing some of the pictures and narrative. My inquiry is, of course, done in the most cordial and pleasing manner. I hope this helps you all see the minor mistake that Ron made in his description of my interaction with him.

Ron, thank you so much for posting this. I really love watching how you all proceed to the end product. The one smoother you are showing, also known as mine, is just slightly more beautiful than the rest of them.

Fred
In the same way that you're slightly more handsome than the rest of us...
Old 11-12-2009, 05:10 PM
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poto View Post
This is really cool, Ron. Thanks so much for sharing this with us. That plane looks pretty wild with all the bolts sticking out of it. Looking forward to seeing the progression!

Puongdinger,

I am thinking that your post about me being slightly more handsome than the rest of you could possibly be a bit of a slight toward me. Are you perhaps insinuating that I am not more handsome?

Now as far as my franken plane. I believe that I have asked Ron to sharpen the bolts and leave them proud as they are now. By doing so, I will be able to use either side of my plane to start a new joint somewhat similar to dovetails but round.

Fred
Kapex, OF2200,Domino,TS 75, Trion PS 300, RO 150, RO 90, ETS 150/5, ETS 150/3, DTS 400, RS 400, LS 130, RS 2, Deltex 93, RAS 115, CT 33, CT 22, CT 26 CT Midi, OF 1400, MFK 700, C 12, LR 32 3, Shinex, MFT/3s, 3 MFT 1080s, WCR 1000, UG-KA-SET, 10 Sysports, 2 Walko's, Marcou's J20A, S20A, M12, S45, S55A, VSP 40, Brese 650-55J, Sauer & Steiner XSNo.4, SS Jointer, A5 Desert Ironwood and #4 Damascus, Knew Concepts 8 inch Fretsaw, Knew Concepts 5 inch Titanium Fretsaw, Hammer K3 48x48, Hammer A3 31
Old 11-12-2009, 10:56 PM

Are you sharpening the bolts to resemble a spiked dog collar or maybe so that you can have a weapon to protect you from Rick's cat? Or both? If dog collar, who in your household will wear it?

Just curious.

Peter
Old 11-12-2009, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plhalle View Post
Are you sharpening the bolts to resemble a spiked dog collar or maybe so that you can have a weapon to protect you from Rick's cat? Or both? If dog collar, who in your household will wear it?

Just curious.

Peter
Or, set big diamonds in the bolt heads and then you can cut dados in anything. Remember the chariots in Ben Hur?