talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Manufacturers & Vendors of Fine Tools > Bowclamp

Bowclamp Modern technology used to realize an age-old idea: a perfect bow shaped arc. The Bowclamp's patented design - made possible only with the help of computerized, numerically-controlled cutting technology (CNC) - allows for equal clamping pressure along the entire length of the glue line... with only one clamp at each end!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-06-2013, 06:10 PM

Default Cabinet carcass deflection issue

Used my new set of bowclamps for the first time over the weekend - gluing trim to the middle of the side of a case - bowclamps worked like a charm - just as described - clamping where no clamp dared (or was able) to go.

I was concerned about deflection of the case side - I understand the pressure is about 150 psi at the middle of the caul - I found that you just need to keep an eye on the deflection amount with a straight edge when clamping, worked just fine.

Compliments to Craig - he was very helpful with my questions - I thought that he deserved a public comment of appreciation and recommendation here.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 05-07-2013, 01:29 AM

Default Re: Cabinet carcass deflection issue

Awesome! Thank you Paul. Glad they're working out for you. That's one of my favorite uses for them... How else would you do it, right? Feel free to post some pics of those babies in action.
Old 05-07-2013, 03:32 AM
Super Moderator

Nice! I love those things!
Old 05-07-2013, 01:21 PM
Super Moderator

Location: Grew up in Peekskill, NY; Now living in Northwest Kansas

I used my Bowclamps to "flatten" the sides of the printer stand I made for Skip with recycled boards. They were cupped about 1/4" accross 20" so it was a peice of cake to get them to mate to the edges of the fixed shelves. The domino tenons and Titebond III glue assured they will stay that way. I added a few cut nails just for aesthetic value.

"If you have good manners and are well spoken, you can be welcome anywhere." -Mom, 1959
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 05-07-2013, 07:12 PM

My project was a steamer trunk - I also may add some aesthetics in the form of brass nails just for fun, but the bowclamps helped it all come together solid as a rock. Interesting how I make things look like the old ways, but put it together using new methods - a good thing since I don't have the old hand tool skills. Does that make me an immoral or dishonest woodworker? - Maybe my hobby should be recognized as being more about collecting woodworking tools that actually woodworking - is that wrong?
Old 05-07-2013, 08:09 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post

... Maybe my hobby should be recognized as being more about collecting woodworking tools that actually woodworking - is that wrong?
Sounds completely normal to me.