talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Manufacturers & Vendors of Fine Tools > Bowclamp

Bowclamp Modern technology used to realize an age-old idea: a perfect bow shaped arc. The Bowclamp's patented design - made possible only with the help of computerized, numerically-controlled cutting technology (CNC) - allows for equal clamping pressure along the entire length of the glue line... with only one clamp at each end!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2013, 10:40 PM

Default Some Bow Clamp questions

There seems to be the possibility that K-Bodies won't tighten the Bow Clamps down all the way (read another thread here). Is that really a problem? I ask because I don't have any F style, only K-bodies.

Can multiple pieces (shelves for example) be lined up in one set of Bow Clamps with success? Say a four foot Bow Clamp with four 11" shelves?

Do the Bow clamps work well with work pieces significantly less than the Bow Clamp length? a 30" long shelf in a four foot set? 12" shelf in a 24" set of Bow Clamps?

I am trying to figure how many BowClamps and maybe F style I would need to do typical jobs. I can't ude the bench clamping method to reduce the quantity because I need to move them off the bench and I prefer to do all the edging at once , not in multiple batches.

Seth
Old 02-07-2013, 01:26 AM

Location: The northernmost end of the southernmost county of New York
Default Re: Some Bow Clamp questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRSemenza View Post
There seems to be the possibility that K-Bodies won't tighten the Bow Clamps down all the way (read another thread here). Is that really a problem? I ask because I don't have any F style, only K-bodies.

K-bodies don't have enough screw length to wring the slack out of the curve. I tried a Quick-grip first and still came up short with the K-body. Just go to HD and get the big Pony clamps, they're pretty cheap there.

Can multiple pieces (shelves for example) be lined up in one set of Bow Clamps with success? Say a four foot Bow Clamp with four 11" shelves?

Yep. But, the depth of the shelves has to be absolutely equal. Shorter depth shelves won't get squeezed as much. In that case you could add a strip of rubber to the face of the Bowclamp.

Do the Bow clamps work well with work pieces significantly less than the Bow Clamp length? a 30" long shelf in a four foot set? 12" shelf in a 24" set of Bow Clamps?

They work, you just have to be careful to stop cranking when the clamp gets tight on the ned of the work. Over-tighten and you reverse the curve of the bow and it lifts in the center of the work.

I am trying to figure how many BowClamps and maybe F style I would need to do typical jobs. I can't ude the bench clamping method to reduce the quantity because I need to move them off the bench and I prefer to do all the edging at once , not in multiple batches.

Seth
If you have a very strong straight caul like a piece of Doug Fir 4x4 you only need one Bowclamp. You can make some panels that incorporate a caul and pegs so you only need one Bowclamp and wedges instead of clamps. Check out Craig's website.

To add edging to a long shelf you only need one Bowclamp. If you want to clamp the edging to several short shelves at once you need one Bowclapm but you need to add a strong caul on the opposite side of the shelves, assuming they're all the same depth.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 02-08-2013, 12:14 AM

Thanks Michael... check's in the mail

A few thoughts... I assume when asking about the issue using k-bodies you mean when using a pair of opposing bowclamps, as there is no issue when only using a single. The issue is the amount of available thread needed to flatten them. There are two possible work-arounds. I've heard of others using a third clamp... first placing one near the end to close most of the way, then adding another next to it (at the end of the bowclamp) to close the gap the remaining amount.

But I think it can be done only using two clamps, by "pre-stressing" the bowclamps manually when sliding the heads into place... removing some of the bend before tightening the hand-screw of the clamp.

I hope that helps Seth. I appreciate your interest and I look forward to getting some bowclamps in your shop... but I'd hate for you to have to buy additional clamps in order to use them.
Old 02-08-2013, 01:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigFeuerzeig View Post
Thanks Michael... check's in the mail

A few thoughts... I assume when asking about the issue using k-bodies you mean when using a pair of opposing bowclamps, as there is no issue when only using a single. The issue is the amount of available thread needed to flatten them. There are two possible work-arounds. I've heard of others using a third clamp... first placing one near the end to close most of the way, then adding another next to it (at the end of the bowclamp) to close the gap the remaining amount.

But I think it can be done only using two clamps, by "pre-stressing" the bowclamps manually when sliding the heads into place... removing some of the bend before tightening the hand-screw of the clamp.

I hope that helps Seth. I appreciate your interest and I look forward to getting some bowclamps in your shop... but I'd hate for you to have to buy additional clamps in order to use them.
I will have to try these suggestions. I have the K bodies too, and when trying to use them for the first time - well, I went to the grocery store and bought a case of Wheaties. I haven't finished that case yet and am tired of Wheaties, so thanks for the suggestions.

Next up - Rice Chex!

peter
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 02-08-2013, 02:11 AM

Protein, Peter... Protein

And a couple drops of oil on the threads goes a long way.
Old 02-08-2013, 01:20 PM

I use K-bodies often with my bowclamps. I do pre-stress them before screwing them down.. You guys need porridge for breakfast
Old 02-11-2013, 01:06 PM

I use something like this to get it almost all the way there before I use the kbody