talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Manufacturers & Vendors of Fine Tools > Bowclamp

Bowclamp Modern technology used to realize an age-old idea: a perfect bow shaped arc. The Bowclamp's patented design - made possible only with the help of computerized, numerically-controlled cutting technology (CNC) - allows for equal clamping pressure along the entire length of the glue line... with only one clamp at each end!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-03-2012, 04:22 PM

Default clamping force question

Any idea how much clamping force is needed on a 4ft long bowclamp?

I am considering some of these that have a clamping force of 260 lbs at $20 a clamp.

I would prefer not to go to the beefier versions that cost 50-60 each but have a clamping force of 1200 lbs.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12-03-2012, 08:41 PM
Super Moderator

Location: Grew up in Peekskill, NY; Now living in Northwest Kansas
Default Re: clamping force question

These clamps will probably work fine. I use the Jorgensen medium duty 3700 series clamps. I have some heavy duty Jet bar clamps and they don't fit in the slot on the Bowclamps.

"If you have good manners and are well spoken, you can be welcome anywhere." -Mom, 1959
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12-03-2012, 08:45 PM

I just got back from the store and found out those clamps are not what I thought they were. Not sure why but I thought they ratcheted. Ended up with these to try out.

I got tired of using parralel clamps and having to tag team em. Tighten one up all the way, throw on another clamp to continue the tightening process, and so forth.
Old 12-04-2012, 01:40 PM

I haven't had great success with squeeze type clamps myself Zap. Others may have better luck. I never think I'm getting them tight enough on the ends. But I've never tried those specifically.

We covered the clamping force question pretty well in this thread.

One pointer on the parallel clamps though... I think they have a little less thread length than f-clamps... I always try to pre-bend the bowclamps a little, as I slide the clamp heads into place, saving some valuable thread length. Takes a little practice but can save some head-ache. Perhaps I should do a video? Hmm.
Old 12-04-2012, 04:31 PM

I found they didn't quite close enough either but it still worked out great. I used the squeeze clamp to close the gap enough so that i could finish it up with the parrallel clamp. Before this I was using a parralel clamp to close the gap and switch out parralel clamps till it was done which was a major pain. 3 swaps for the 4' ones.

just ordered a pair 2' ones from woodcraft using the $10 of $25 coupon, I am loving these bow clamps
Old 12-05-2012, 02:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zapdafish View Post
I am loving these bow clamps
Thanks Zap! Always great to hear.