talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Manufacturers & Vendors of Fine Tools > Bowclamp

Bowclamp Modern technology used to realize an age-old idea: a perfect bow shaped arc. The Bowclamp's patented design - made possible only with the help of computerized, numerically-controlled cutting technology (CNC) - allows for equal clamping pressure along the entire length of the glue line... with only one clamp at each end!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-13-2012, 05:22 PM

Default I thought it was a nail

Thought I hit a nail but I was mistaken. After I went back to work I thought... I didn't hear anything, and the "head" was concave. Then I tried pulling it out but it didn't want to come... And it deformed from tweezers.

Ah... Lead ball.

How old do you think it is?

Old 06-13-2012, 06:37 PM

Default Re: I thought it was a nail

turned a hunk of maple once that had so many bullets stuck in there I named the thing "sweating bullets".
It got to be fun diggin them, saving, and trying to figure out what they were. Most seemed to me 9mmP, a couple of 22's, and 1 was around a .270. Someone had to have hung a target, once upon a time.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 06-13-2012, 09:53 PM
Super Moderator

Location: Grew up in Peekskill, NY; Now living in Northwest Kansas

I've had a few boards like that from local harvests. Out here on the plains, there were no trees until about 100 years ago, but Joisy, dey bin der forevah! People still shoot balls with black powder or it could be a "pumpkin" slug from a 12 ga. shotgun. If it is an unjacketed lead bullet, it is probably 40 years old or more.

You could just count the tree rings from the cambium layer in and guess when the tree was harvested. The sum will be when it hit the tree.

"If you have good manners and are well spoken, you can be welcome anywhere." -Mom, 1959
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 06-15-2012, 03:22 PM

I think the maple is Canadian actually... but I like to think it's from an old musket.

Everything I know about guns I learned here .
Old 08-09-2012, 04:45 PM

Nuther one! Just the shell this time, the pencil fits inside.