talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Manufacturers & Vendors of Fine Tools > Bowclamp

Bowclamp Modern technology used to realize an age-old idea: a perfect bow shaped arc. The Bowclamp's patented design - made possible only with the help of computerized, numerically-controlled cutting technology (CNC) - allows for equal clamping pressure along the entire length of the glue line... with only one clamp at each end!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2012, 05:36 PM

Default Poto on the spot-o

I didn't want to hijack your thread but this quote deserves highlighting....

Quote:
I have to say, this was the best panel glue-up I've ever done.

Thank you. That's quite a compliment. I hope (and assume) you're not just being kind. But could you elaborate? I'd like to hear your thoughts (and of course I have some of my own).

Sorry to put you on the spot.
Old 03-14-2012, 05:53 PM
Super Moderator

Default Re: Poto on the spot-o

Craig, my panel glue-ups are always a very tense affair. I often have 6 or more boards, and the glue's drying. I'm trying to get all the dominos seated (I use them for alignment), and trying not to ruin my nice straight, flat joints.

With the Bowclamps I just arranged the boards (they were lying flat on the bench), and used them to bring the joints together. A little adjusting here, a little there, readjusting the clamps once they'd reached their maximum depth, and voila! A perfect glue-up. Two clamps! Wow!

The joints came out perfectly. Except for the changes in the grain pattern, they're invisible. It quick, easy, effective, and I'm never going back to using tons of clamps. I'm totally convinced.
Old 03-14-2012, 06:55 PM

Cool Peter. Thanks so much. I was wondering if you used an alignment aid... and if by any chance you tried it without (on a dry run obviously)?
Old 03-14-2012, 07:21 PM
Super Moderator

No, I haven't tried it without the dominos. I don't trust myself enough yet - especially on a commission. Maybe on one of my own pieces some time. I think I'm going to be making a mess of cutting boards - that'll give me some good experimentation time.
Old 03-14-2012, 10:51 PM

Peter,

You'll stop using the dominos for edge glue-ups the first time you inadvertently crosscut your panel through one and end up with an ugly void to contend with. That when I stopped using biscuits. It also makes for a much easier glue up; you just need to pay a little more attention to get all the boards flat.

Rutager

P.S. Just had a successful Bowclamps glue up myself, more to come.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 03-14-2012, 10:51 PM

Not that I'm advocating mind you... it's just that as you say with some practice I think you'll find you may not need them any longer and you can save the time and trouble. Also when doing your cutting boards you may find that some of the pieces are simply too thin, and you'll have no choice.

But when you get the hang of it, you can keep things aligned as you tighten, working from the center toward each end... and the boards won't be skating around... like in the olden days.
Old 03-15-2012, 03:37 AM
Super Moderator

I don't use the dominos for cutting boards - just the big table tops that I've done. Without a planer (at that time) it was difficult to get the boards flat. I'm getting better...
Old 03-15-2012, 10:38 AM

Why Struggle...?

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 03-18-2012, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rutager View Post

P.S. Just had a successful Bowclamps glue up myself, more to come.

Tease...
Old 03-19-2012, 12:09 AM

Okay,

I'll start a new post.

-Rutager