talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Manufacturers & Vendors of Fine Tools > Bowclamp

Bowclamp Modern technology used to realize an age-old idea: a perfect bow shaped arc. The Bowclamp's patented design - made possible only with the help of computerized, numerically-controlled cutting technology (CNC) - allows for equal clamping pressure along the entire length of the glue line... with only one clamp at each end!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2012, 02:52 PM

Default Conventional wisdom

Let's pretend that, like most of the world, you'd never heard of Bowclamps.

How would you go about this (relatively simple) project?

Build a Flat-screen TV Stand in a Weekend | Popular Woodworking Magazine

Both the veneer, and the edge banding? What's the conventional wisdom?

How is it generally being done... How do yo think he did it? (I don't have an answer to that... yet ) How are the readers doing it now?

Indulge me... vac. bag, weights, nails, clamps (if so how many etc.)...cauls...
Old 03-10-2012, 04:32 PM

Default Re: Conventional wisdom

Craig,

I would have used solid wood, no banding needed.

If I somehow suffered serious head trauma and decided to replicate a simple hardwood using particule board, I would use a wide board and a bunch of clamps to press the banding down.

Rutager
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 03-10-2012, 10:17 PM
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rutager View Post
Craig,

I would have used solid wood, no banding needed.

If I somehow suffered serious head trauma and decided to replicate a simple hardwood using particule board, I would use a wide board and a bunch of clamps to press the banding down.

Rutager
Craig,

As I have never been conventional and have owned some of your Bowclamps for about six years, I would use my Bowclamps.

Rutager, IF? If you had suffered serious head trauma? I think that you meant "because" you have suffered head trauma.

Fred
Kapex, OF2200,Domino,TS 75, Trion PS 300, RO 150, RO 90, ETS 150/5, ETS 150/3, DTS 400, RS 400, LS 130, RS 2, Deltex 93, RAS 115, CT 33, CT 22, CT 26 CT Midi, OF 1400, MFK 700, C 12, LR 32 3, Shinex, MFT/3s, 3 MFT 1080s, WCR 1000, UG-KA-SET, 10 Sysports, 2 Walko's, Marcou's J20A, S20A, M12, S45, S55A, VSP 40, Brese 650-55J, Sauer & Steiner XSNo.4, SS Jointer, A5 Desert Ironwood and #4 Damascus, Knew Concepts 8 inch Fretsaw, Knew Concepts 5 inch Titanium Fretsaw, Hammer K3 48x48, Hammer A3 31
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 03-11-2012, 10:21 AM

To be honest, I would use what I have on had, which leaves me with three choices: solid wood, plywood, or mdf. I would not bother to go edge banding.

Since I would make a relatively large shelf for a tv and other components, I would want a shelf a little thicker and if possible light so I can move the unit around and arrange however I wanted.

With all that being said, I would have gone with 3/8 mdf and luan using a torsion box. Glue and pin nails and I would be done in day 1 and primed and paint on day 2.
Old 03-11-2012, 10:29 AM

If I had to use the methods described and use glue with edge banding, then I would break out my two dozen pipe clamps and clamp every six inches. At least that is what I would do with my present knowledge. I don't use edge banding so not really sure how much pressure and space is needed.

Though after thinking about this I would assume each area near pressure so the glue adhesion is smooth all the way around. Thus, without have any bowclamps, I would cut 4x pieces of wood the same thickness and slightly longer than the edge then clamp that wood against each edge and still go with the 6in space.

Now, given that and having to cut extra pieces and all that jazz. I would still go back to solid wood or a mdf torsion box.

Don't they make edge banding that you can just iron or use a heat gun with? Geez, glue and clamps for banding seems so cumbersome.

The more I think about it, I don't think I would really build this project. I would just ask Fred if I can use his $$$$ bunny entertainment center... which I hope he has moved into storage.
Old 03-11-2012, 02:37 PM

Good replies so far, thanks... but I don't think head trauma would be necessary to imagine using engineered materials rather than solid wood for this job. The top could be patterned veneer, inlay etc. Also I believe engineered materials were engineered for a reason, so I'm not judging (it's not easy being green ). Truth is, I'd be lying if I said that I've done this a hundred times... because it's probably in the thousands. My background is more cabinet-maker than furniture-maker. I owned a sliding table saw and an edge-bander long before I owned a jointer and a planer.

And yes the edge-bander used hot-melt glue. Prior to that I used iron-on... also hot-melt. Not a great bond, and a visible glue-line. I certainly wouldn't trust it anywhere else in my woodworking. Nails are an option (bad one IMO...looks like buck-shot, and we all have to pretend not to see the holes ), but if the material were any thinner, nails certainly would not be an option any longer.

Shawn is right about a thicker caul, to help spread the clamping pressure... which is why I would have scrap pieces lying everywhere waiting to be called upon for this purpose... and I would spend an inordinate amount of time searching for the right ones, or heaven forbid... milling them.

I think it's safe to assume that unless you have a vacuum bag set-up... you're avoiding veneer work altogether. And that's a shame...

I guess my real question is... (remember you've never heard of a Bowclamp )how many would say... Oh, I would use the curved caul method? And how many readers of Pop Wood are saying to themselves..." I don't have the tools to do this job? (while I'm killing myself trying to convince the editors (for years now) that Bowclamps are something their readers might want to know about...)
Old 03-11-2012, 02:54 PM

I should also add that there are currently zero replies to that post... wink, wink.

Anybody want to do me a solid, ask him how he did it? (or better yet... everybody )

"Gee Steve, I don't have a vaccum bag..."... "Gee Steve, I only own a couple of clamps..."... "Hey Steve, should I nail it?"

good times...
Old 03-11-2012, 04:27 PM

Hey Craig,

I do use ply and MDF for burls and other highly figured or unstable materials and use a vacuum bag for the top and bottom and use(d) some flat cauls and butt loads of clamps for the edges, which is why I finally convinced you to sell me some bow clamps. I still stand by using solid wood whenever it is possible; I've repaired way too much edge banding in my life to condone its use if not needed.

FYI, I have now used the Bowclamps on two applications and they worked very well, I probally could have used the vacuum bag for one of them, but I would have needed to run it for days since I was flattening veneer- Bowclamps worked great and without electricity or noise!

I do have a few accesorry ideas for you and will mock them up and then start begging you to manufacture them.

Regards,
Rutager
Old 03-11-2012, 04:30 PM

Oh, and Fred,

It is because I've suffered serious head trauma, that I answer the phone when you call!

-Rutager
Old 03-11-2012, 08:11 PM

Awesome Rutager. Love it! I'm going to have to add veneer flattening to my list of uses, and get it on the website too. Don't be shy about posting pictures. I know I've heard others doing this as well. And I can't wait to see what you've come up with. Do share.