talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Manufacturers & Vendors of Fine Tools > Bowclamp

Bowclamp Modern technology used to realize an age-old idea: a perfect bow shaped arc. The Bowclamp's patented design - made possible only with the help of computerized, numerically-controlled cutting technology (CNC) - allows for equal clamping pressure along the entire length of the glue line... with only one clamp at each end!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-27-2011, 03:09 PM

Default Re: Shouldn't pass without mention

A few more thoughts on that video...

First, Chris (you Chris) I think he qualified, either in the video or the comments, that it didn't really matter which glue. Didn't want you to think I missed that.

Next, he's using $200 worth of clamps. To clamp 3 ft. To this day I still don't own a K-body type clamp. That's a true statement. I've tried them. They're nice. But I was never able to justify buying one. Let alone 4. To glue up 3 ft. But he relies on them pretty heavily in that video.

Which leads me to my next point... He's basically making the assumption that all glue-ups are created equally.

Try inserting a 3rd board in there. Or a 4th. Or make it with narrower boards, different clamps, thinner stock.... You get the idea. It changes everything.

Last edited by CraigFeuerzeig; 10-27-2011 at 06:43 PM. Reason: sp.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 10-27-2011, 03:26 PM

I should add that I've never tried hide glue either... but I have a hard time believing that if the bottle were a different color, that he would have approached that glue-up any differently, or tightened the clamps any more.
Old 10-27-2011, 06:33 PM

Location: 41N 79W One of the Thirteen Original Colonies of the United States of America

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigFeuerzeig View Post
I should add that I've never tried hide glue either... but I have a hard time believing that if the bottle were a different color, that he would have approached that glue-up any differently, or tightened the clamps any more.
I'm curious now, I'll have to try a bottle of the cold hide glue. I've used regular hot hide glue often on furniture repairs & I really like it except for the short open time. Longer open time can be had with more water and hotter mixture but it sacrifices strength.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 10-27-2011, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RONWEN View Post
I'm curious now, I'll have to try a bottle of the cold hide glue. I've used regular hot hide glue often on furniture repairs & I really like it except for the short open time. Longer open time can be had with more water and hotter mixture but it sacrifices strength.
I personally like Old Brown Glue if I'm not mixing up my own. Long open time and easy to apply and clean up. I let the bottle sit in a hot cup of water to make application easier. Usually the first thing I do setting up for a glue up, put the glue bottle in hot water, and when I'm ready, it's ready. Tite Bond Liquid hide glue is okay, but I find it more temperature critical. When gluing up a dovetail six board chest, need all the time you can get. I use hide glue for all my furniture builds now. Everything that stays in the shop usually gets PVA unless I have some glue in the hot pot already.

Hello All,

Doug

Last edited by DougB; 10-27-2011 at 09:40 PM.
Old 10-27-2011, 10:39 PM

Location: 41N 79W One of the Thirteen Original Colonies of the United States of America

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougB View Post
I personally like Old Brown Glue if I'm not mixing up my own. Long open time and easy to apply and clean up. I let the bottle sit in a hot cup of water to make application easier. Usually the first thing I do setting up for a glue up, put the glue bottle in hot water, and when I'm ready, it's ready. Tite Bond Liquid hide glue is okay, but I find it more temperature critical. When gluing up a dovetail six board chest, need all the time you can get. I use hide glue for all my furniture builds now. Everything that stays in the shop usually gets PVA unless I have some glue in the hot pot already.

Hello All,

Doug
Thanks for the tip! I notice on the website that it has a 6mo. shelf life or 1yr. if kept in the frig. 15 to 45 min. working time. which is far better than hot. I'll get some ordered, it sounds great & much easier to work with than hot hide glue.
Thanks again.
Old 10-28-2011, 03:06 AM

Fine Wood Working did a glue comparison test that was interesting and a little surprising: http://www.oldbrownglue.com/pdf/HowS...urGlue_FWW.pdf
Old 10-28-2011, 04:48 AM

That's interesting, and more or less jives with my own experiences.
Worth noting, hide glue flakes come in a variety of strengths - they did not mention which they used, though.
For example, Highland where I usually buy mine, lists the veneer glue as "192 gr strength" and has in the last few years renamed the stronger 250-ish as "bone glue" which is for joinery.
Also, only 1 place in the US that makes it. So, much like CA, if you're getting an American made product, the label or who it came from is moot. (CA has only 2 places, or so I am told)
Anyway. I think the Titebond liquid hide glue is worthless crap. How's that for holding back.
Which has nothing to do with clamps, pressure, or force. It just doesn't work very well, and hot hide glue does.
The thing Chris S said I agree with most is no glue makes up for poor surface/joint prep. You might get it together only after 15 clamps, but you don't have straight edges then, and then what. What stresses are in the piece, pulling on the joints?
I also don't think glue ups require superhuman pressure, force, or whatever semantic was debated. It's either going to stay together or it's not. Being able to spread that force evenly over a given joint to me is beneficial much like not having a thermal break in your insulation.
To me, clamps help hold loose pieces, square assemblies, and hold everything together while glue sets. They are not things you crank on until you're blue in the face and finally crush the joinery into submission.
Old 10-28-2011, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWeber View Post
That's interesting, and more or less jives with my own experiences.
Worth noting, hide glue flakes come in a variety of strengths - they did not mention which they used, though.
For example, Highland where I usually buy mine, lists the veneer glue as "192 gr strength" and has in the last few years renamed the stronger 250-ish as "bone glue" which is for joinery.
Also, only 1 place in the US that makes it. So, much like CA, if you're getting an American made product, the label or who it came from is moot. (CA has only 2 places, or so I am told)
Anyway. I think the Titebond liquid hide glue is worthless crap. How's that for holding back.
Which has nothing to do with clamps, pressure, or force. It just doesn't work very well, and hot hide glue does.
The thing Chris S said I agree with most is no glue makes up for poor surface/joint prep. You might get it together only after 15 clamps, but you don't have straight edges then, and then what. What stresses are in the piece, pulling on the joints?
I also don't think glue ups require superhuman pressure, force, or whatever semantic was debated. It's either going to stay together or it's not. Being able to spread that force evenly over a given joint to me is beneficial much like not having a thermal break in your insulation.
To me, clamps help hold loose pieces, square assemblies, and hold everything together while glue sets. They are not things you crank on until you're blue in the face and finally crush the joinery into submission.
I buy my hot glue from either Highland or Lee Valley and I'm pleased with it except for open time. I've avoided using the liquid hide glue because I've read similar comments about the Titebond or Franklin product as Randy's. The Old Brown Glue sounds very encouraging.

I was surprised at how the Gorilla polyurethane ranked in the FWW test.
Old 10-28-2011, 12:55 PM

I'm a fan of tightbond III, I use it most of the time for almost all my work.
Rick, cool video
Old 10-29-2011, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hasslefactor View Post
Max loves hide glue for its irresistible (to a dog) aroma.

I actually like it myself...