talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Manufacturers & Vendors of Fine Tools > Bowclamp

Bowclamp Modern technology used to realize an age-old idea: a perfect bow shaped arc. The Bowclamp's patented design - made possible only with the help of computerized, numerically-controlled cutting technology (CNC) - allows for equal clamping pressure along the entire length of the glue line... with only one clamp at each end!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-06-2012, 07:23 PM

Default Re: veneering question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leakyroof View Post
I think you hit the nail on the head... The curve IS on the outside.
This is all due to simple mechanics. If a flexible length of an object is curved so the center is thicker than the outer ends, when pressure is applied to that part of the end which is curved, the flexing motion will cause it to flatten out, and the side which was flat is now the side that is curved.

That is the very principle that is used on BowFlex, or practically any caul. If you, or Okami, actually own a set, or 'roll your own', you will immediately notice this.

I'm surprised Craig didn't mention this earlier.

And let me finish this before I walk away from the thread. I am perfectly well aware that using a home made caul, such as the ones I made, will not work perfectly to glue a strip of veneer on an end. I have no intent doing this in the foreseeable future. My object is speaker building, as the link I used in my first post shows.

I will not be gluing veneer edges, so being absolutely, positively, perfect will not be a concern to me. And should I need to do this, all I will need to do is use a straight strip of hardwood, which I can pick up from the nearest Lowes and place it between the glued surface, and the less than perfect caul. That would evenly distribute the pressure and accomplish my goals. But I don't think I am going to need to do this.

Anyway, I was not intent on getting into a urinating contest here. I even requested my post be moved to another more appropriate section, as I made a mistake in posting it here. Since Craig, and a few others, are offended in my post, I again request this be moved to another location. I requested that because I am interrupting his sales pitch, and unknowingly put him on defense. And obviously my posting here did. If I offended, I heartily apologize.

Last edited by Jlk103144; 04-06-2012 at 07:28 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 04-06-2012, 07:39 PM

I urge you to reconsider. Again, I'm not offended and I appreciate your sticking around to have this discussion. I'm impressed at your attempt, and I'm happy to have a make vs. buy comparison. They look good to me... As I said earlier they will likely work for your intended purpose... while hopefully (for me) at the same time demonstrating my point that the more accurately you can make them... the more jobs they become use-full for. I'm eager to know how your veneer project turns out. I hope you'll keep us posted.
Old 04-06-2012, 11:51 PM
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jlk103144 View Post
This is all due to simple mechanics. If a flexible length of an object is curved so the center is thicker than the outer ends, when pressure is applied to that part of the end which is curved, the flexing motion will cause it to flatten out, and the side which was flat is now the side that is curved.

That is the very principle that is used on BowFlex, or practically any caul. If you, or Okami, actually own a set, or 'roll your own', you will immediately notice this.

I'm surprised Craig didn't mention this earlier.

And let me finish this before I walk away from the thread. I am perfectly well aware that using a home made caul, such as the ones I made, will not work perfectly to glue a strip of veneer on an end. I have no intent doing this in the foreseeable future. My object is speaker building, as the link I used in my first post shows.

I will not be gluing veneer edges, so being absolutely, positively, perfect will not be a concern to me. And should I need to do this, all I will need to do is use a straight strip of hardwood, which I can pick up from the nearest Lowes and place it between the glued surface, and the less than perfect caul. That would evenly distribute the pressure and accomplish my goals. But I don't think I am going to need to do this.

Anyway, I was not intent on getting into a urinating contest here. I even requested my post be moved to another more appropriate section, as I made a mistake in posting it here. Since Craig, and a few others, are offended in my post, I again request this be moved to another location. I requested that because I am interrupting his sales pitch, and unknowingly put him on defense. And obviously my posting here did. If I offended, I heartily apologize.
JLK,

Thank you very much for all of your posting here as it has been very informative and interesting. After reading through everything I truthfully do not see anyone that is upset at all including and most importantly Craig.

I think we would all prefer that you retain your thread here but if you truly would prefer to have it in a different section, I would be happy to move it for you.

Please either post her again and let me know whether or not you still wish to move your thread or you may PM me and let me know that way.

Either way, thank you for joining and posting.

Fred
Kapex, OF2200,Domino,TS 75, Trion PS 300, RO 150, RO 90, ETS 150/5, ETS 150/3, DTS 400, RS 400, LS 130, RS 2, Deltex 93, RAS 115, CT 33, CT 22, CT 26 CT Midi, OF 1400, MFK 700, C 12, LR 32 3, Shinex, MFT/3s, 3 MFT 1080s, WCR 1000, UG-KA-SET, 10 Sysports, 2 Walko's, Marcou's J20A, S20A, M12, S45, S55A, VSP 40, Brese 650-55J, Sauer & Steiner XSNo.4, SS Jointer, A5 Desert Ironwood and #4 Damascus, Knew Concepts 8 inch Fretsaw, Knew Concepts 5 inch Titanium Fretsaw, Hammer K3 48x48, Hammer A3 31
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 04-07-2012, 04:21 AM

No offense taken. Have to echo Fred's thoughts, [and Craigs] here. No slight meant about your own cauls either. Just confusion from the provided pictures. As an aside, I have made my own cauls in the past, and was not happy with my results for some tasks that I was using them on.
However, I did not take the time like you have shown, or the trouble, to work them up as throughly. Again, thanks for all the posts, don't run off, please, just indulge our questions if you've got the time. Thanks