talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Manufacturers & Vendors of Fine Tools > Bowclamp

Bowclamp Modern technology used to realize an age-old idea: a perfect bow shaped arc. The Bowclamp's patented design - made possible only with the help of computerized, numerically-controlled cutting technology (CNC) - allows for equal clamping pressure along the entire length of the glue line... with only one clamp at each end!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-04-2012, 03:33 PM

Default Re: veneering question

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigFeuerzeig View Post
I should add that I've tried the metal strip too. My results were not good. Hopefully you will fair better... but please keep us posted either way.

I'm a DIY'er myself for sure. But if you had made these, 20 years ago, for sale, and they worked, I'd have gladly bought them from you.

Try testing them using little scraps of paper in between, along the length. None should pull out easily.
Sounds more than reasonable Craig. Tell you what I will do. Yesterday when I was at Kroger, I ordered a 16oz container of glycerin for flattening my flitch of burl yew.

When I pick it up, I will mix a small batch, and take a sheet of warped burl, probably from another veneer sample I have stored away. I'll spray it with the mixture and use my diy clamps and see how they work out.

That way I will know if they actually work.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 04-04-2012, 06:07 PM

Here's a quick update on the diy clamps.

First I ripped off 1" from the bottom thickness to the clamps, because they were just too thick and bending them would be harder.

Then I changed out my regular blade, with the dado set. By using one of the trimmed off pieces, I was able to center the rip fence to the dado blades. Then I just cut out a 1/2" dado to all six clamps.

And lastly I lightly passed all of them over a belt sander, and sanded off any of the loose material.

Once they were ready to go, I found a 2x4 and a sheet of plywood. Then I placed one of the clamps underneath, and one on top, removed the rubber stops from two wood clamps. They both fit easily within the dado cuts. Then I just started tightening all around.

I might note that the only complicated part was that I needed two more quick clamps so as to keep the setup tight, while I readjusted each wood clamp as they ran out of thread space. But that was no real problem, as I was able to reattach each readjusted wood clamp and continue tightening.

Here are a couple of pictures showing two clamps tightened down to the board/plywood.

I'm going to leave this pair clamped together and see if they blow up on me. Then I'll do another pair until I have them all tested.

One thing I need to do will be to go out and purchase some 12" wood clamps. The two I used here were 24" and they just look a bit out of place, and a shorter pair would look more professional. Or at least to my sense of perspective. As a disclaimer, I am self-employed and make beautiful high-dollar treatments for interior designers. So I look at everything from an artist's perspective.

One of the things I noticed while watching the videos of the BowClamp being used, is the continued use of over sized wood clamps. I immediately noticed this and asked "Why don't they use shorter clamps? It would be far more efficient, and look better for the camera." I realize that the larger clamps show perhaps more effect, but these things are meant for the more experienced woodworker, who will subconsciously pick up on it. That's just my quick observation.

Last edited by Jlk103144; 04-04-2012 at 06:12 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 04-04-2012, 10:08 PM

Let's hope those are just shadows.

Last edited by CraigFeuerzeig; 04-04-2012 at 10:15 PM.
Old 04-04-2012, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigFeuerzeig View Post
Let's hope those are just shadows.
After I took that picture, I traded out the 24" wood clamps with a pair of 12" clamps, and when I tightened again, the crack at the end disappeared. As for the two other openings, they weren't on the other side.

My guess is that when I sanded them down to get all the loose shavings, I didn't keep the downward edge of the board level with the upside down belt sander and sanded off a little of the edge. But the rest of that spot did contact the 2x4.

I may just pad and upholster them so as to hide the tiny imperfections.

Last edited by Jlk103144; 04-04-2012 at 11:11 PM.
Old 04-05-2012, 01:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jlk103144 View Post

And lastly I lightly passed all of them over a belt sander, and sanded off any of the loose material.

The curved side?
Old 04-05-2012, 02:09 AM

And so as to review... you've got a good half day into this project thus far... and a fair amount of expense... they're still untested... and you're first going to start upholstering now...

I could have forged myself a hammer by now... but would it outperform my Estwing? With the framing claw, and a waffle head?
Old 04-05-2012, 03:14 AM

A good try none the less
From the photo, it looks like the curve is on the outside?

I tried to make some a few years back, as I'm in Japan and couldn't easily get a set. All said and done, I failed to get the curve down perfect, wasted time, wood and generally frustrated myself Then I ordered a set of bowclamps from America and sucked up the shipping fees...then I bought another set...then I had a custom set made by Craig
They are well worth buying
Old 04-05-2012, 01:37 PM

And Okami's pretty good at cutting to the line...

Thank you sir.
Old 04-06-2012, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okami View Post
A good try none the less
From the photo, it looks like the curve is on the outside?

I tried to make some a few years back, as I'm in Japan and couldn't easily get a set. All said and done, I failed to get the curve down perfect, wasted time, wood and generally frustrated myself Then I ordered a set of bowclamps from America and sucked up the shipping fees...then I bought another set...then I had a custom set made by Craig
They are well worth buying
I think you hit the nail on the head... The curve IS on the outside.
Old 04-06-2012, 07:20 PM
Super Moderator

I think that's just because he's applied clamps to the caul - the formerly flat side is now curved. Bowclamps do the same thing - they look curved on the outside once they're clamped.