talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Manufacturers & Vendors of Fine Tools > Bowclamp

Bowclamp Modern technology used to realize an age-old idea: a perfect bow shaped arc. The Bowclamp's patented design - made possible only with the help of computerized, numerically-controlled cutting technology (CNC) - allows for equal clamping pressure along the entire length of the glue line... with only one clamp at each end!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-2011, 06:48 PM
Founding Member

Default Re: veneering question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouppe View Post
Fred, I understand what you are saying but I am not directly addressing Rick. I was asking questions about using bowclamps in an existing thread and Rick chose to answer. I merely acknowledged Rick's answer when I asked my follow-up question.

Perhaps the confusion has arisen because Rick's original answer is not longer visible on the thread, and I will edit my response accordingly.
Richard,

Thank you and I apologize for creating even more confusion. By the way, I have 16 of Craig's Bowclamps and love using them. One thing that I know for sure is that I have not come anywhere even close to finding all of the applications in which I can use them.

Fred
Kapex, OF2200,Domino,TS 75, Trion PS 300, RO 150, RO 90, ETS 150/5, ETS 150/3, DTS 400, RS 400, LS 130, RS 2, Deltex 93, RAS 115, CT 33, CT 22, CT 26 CT Midi, OF 1400, MFK 700, C 12, LR 32 3, Shinex, MFT/3s, 3 MFT 1080s, WCR 1000, UG-KA-SET, 10 Sysports, 2 Walko's, Marcou's J20A, S20A, M12, S45, S55A, VSP 40, Brese 650-55J, Sauer & Steiner XSNo.4, SS Jointer, A5 Desert Ironwood and #4 Damascus, Knew Concepts 8 inch Fretsaw, Knew Concepts 5 inch Titanium Fretsaw, Hammer K3 48x48, Hammer A3 31
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11-07-2011, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Fred, I understand what you are saying but I am not directly addressing Rick. I was asking questions about using bowclamps in an existing thread and Rick chose to answer. I merely acknowledged Rick's answer when I asked my follow-up question.

Perhaps the confusion has arisen because Rick's original answer is not longer visible on the thread, and I will edit my response accordingly.

Richard,

I'm sorry for the confusion. I asked Rick to delete his reply. I thought it was inappropriate for him to respond, confusing to you, and irrelevant to the situation. But I would hate for you to think that negative comments by experienced users are edited out. That would never be the case.
Old 11-07-2011, 08:17 PM

Thanks all.

Richard.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11-07-2011, 10:14 PM

Location: The northernmost end of the southernmost county of New York

Rick's post had compared the pressure a good vacuum bag can bring to the assembly to what he guessed a few Bowclamps would offer. I had replied to rib him that the vacuum bag applied excessive force. I was joking at the time but I just took a moment to think about it and maybe the vacuum bag is excessive.

Veneering has long been accomplished by simply placing a weight on top of the assembly. A big hunk of iron or steel is handy (if it's very flat on the bottom) but if you want to cover a large area a lot of problems arise.

A cubic foot of steel weighs 490 pounds. That seems more than sufficient to clamp a one square foot assembly but consider that 490#/144sq."= 3.4. That big lump of steel only applies 3.4 pounds of pressure per square inch. That's less than a third of the psi you get with a good vacuum bag system.

Personally I think a mere 4 inch thick steel plate is plenty heavy enough to place on top of the work even though it amounts to scarcely more than 1 psi. But, that 4 inch thick hunk of steel weighs 163 pounds per square foot and even if I could get it for free and had an electromagnetic gantry to move the stuff I'd rather use Bowclamps.

Vacuum bag systems are awesome and a good polyurethane bag might cost less than the bundle of Bowclamps it would take to cover the equivalent area but Bowclamps are a lot more versatile.
Old 11-07-2011, 10:58 PM

Ughh.... Thanks Michael. I had hoped to nip this in the bud. Didn't seem to work. It was Richard's first post. I didn't want to burden him with our old history. It was such a nice thread. Not fair to him and not fair to me. But I guess I should only blame myself. I stirred the pot with the Schwarz link in the other thread. But I thought this thing was put to bed. The photo I posted was from this series:

I made sure to bring that piece (all the pieces I showed) to WIA this year... It's been glued down for a couple of years now, lived through a flood (has water stains to prove it). Many of you have seen it in person. Up close. Many more have done it themselves. With great results. Thanks Matt! (you know I was kidding about the pictures, right?)

If anybody has a problem and finds that their bowclamps are not performing as advertised... by all means, please come right here and tell us about it. But as you know... I think that if you are using a calculator to figure this out... you're doing it wrong. The only math you should be doing is basic geometry.

Last edited by CraigFeuerzeig; 11-07-2011 at 11:22 PM.
Old 11-07-2011, 11:27 PM

Blimey, it was my first post! I had no idea I was stirring up something.

Anyway, I am going to order the bowclamps because I have so many uses for them in mind even if I revert to my vacuum pump for the veneer work.

I'll post some pictures and let you know how it goes when I get to it.

Richard.
Old 11-07-2011, 11:41 PM
Administrator

Quote:

Blimey, it was my first post! I had no idea I was stirring up something.
Richard, don't worry about it. We have a lot of very knowledgeable folks around here, and sometimes the strong opinions clash. Most of the time things stay pretty friendly, sometimes feathers get ruffled.

That's the way things go in the world, and this place is no exception.

Old 11-08-2011, 12:37 PM

Thanks Richard,

And you definitely deserve a better welcome.

Welcome.

I look forward to getting them in your shop. And to those pctures.
Old 11-11-2011, 11:14 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to FulThrotl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okami View Post
Is there enough force in a bowclamp to pull that back together
isn't the clamp so you can put a veneer over that nasty crack?
Old 11-12-2011, 12:23 AM

Bingo! And an excellent first post. And a Big Welcome to you to. You'll fit right in.