talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Manufacturers & Vendors of Fine Tools > Bowclamp

Bowclamp Modern technology used to realize an age-old idea: a perfect bow shaped arc. The Bowclamp's patented design - made possible only with the help of computerized, numerically-controlled cutting technology (CNC) - allows for equal clamping pressure along the entire length of the glue line... with only one clamp at each end!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-05-2011, 06:04 PM

Location: The northernmost end of the southernmost county of New York
Default Cutting board

This is the cutting board Craig exhibited (in a very low-key way) at WIA.
Assembled with 2 BowClamps and two modest Pony bar clamps.

I was reminded of this when an email newsletter from Bessey arrived in my emailbox this morning.
They featured a cutting board glue-up that involved about $400 worth of Bessey clamps.

Could have done it with less than $60 worth of tools if two of the four required bits had been 2 foot BowClamps.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 10-05-2011, 06:34 PM

Default Re: Cutting board

Yep, I agree!
I wouldn't be without mine! They've saved me quite a few times already so simple, yet they can put pressure where clamps can't.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 10-05-2011, 10:06 PM
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okami View Post
Yep, I agree!
I wouldn't be without mine! They've saved me quite a few times already so simple, yet they can put pressure where clamps can't.
Okami,

I could not agree with you more. My Bowclamps have seen much use from my special little 12 inchers to the bone crushers, they are fantastic.:thumbs up2: I do not know if any of you guys every needed or wanted the shorties but Craig made me the 12 inchers and they have done yeoman's duty on some smaller projects.

Fred
Kapex, OF2200,Domino,TS 75, Trion PS 300, RO 150, RO 90, ETS 150/5, ETS 150/3, DTS 400, RS 400, LS 130, RS 2, Deltex 93, RAS 115, CT 33, CT 22, CT 26 CT Midi, OF 1400, MFK 700, C 12, LR 32 3, Shinex, MFT/3s, 3 MFT 1080s, WCR 1000, UG-KA-SET, 10 Sysports, 2 Walko's, Marcou's J20A, S20A, M12, S45, S55A, VSP 40, Brese 650-55J, Sauer & Steiner XSNo.4, SS Jointer, A5 Desert Ironwood and #4 Damascus, Knew Concepts 8 inch Fretsaw, Knew Concepts 5 inch Titanium Fretsaw, Hammer K3 48x48, Hammer A3 31
Old 10-06-2011, 01:15 AM

Thanks Michael... but if I may correct the record, I was bragging that that board was made using no clamps at all.

The glue-up started like this. In lieu of clamps... bench dogs, with shims to provide the pressure.

Then gets chopped at the radial arm saw into 3" pieces... every other piece gets flipped upside down, and then the whole thing gets glued back together.

No clamps.
Old 10-06-2011, 01:29 AM

That's why I joked in the other thread...that one day, it may suddenly decide to stop being a cutting board.

But of course 2 cheap f-clamps would work too.

Or an f-clamp and a pipe clamp... Whatever ya got handy.

Or you can just go "old school"... and screw a couple of 2 x 4's to the floor (no need for anything fancy).

Old 10-06-2011, 01:36 AM
Super Moderator

How come all your cutting boards, etc., don't end up glued to your bench? Or the floor?
Old 10-06-2011, 01:59 AM

Wax.

Bowclamps come dipped. Dried glue flakes right off. And my bench gets wiped down... along with my jointer bed etc... And while you're at it hit the planer bed... it'll thank you.

Last edited by CraigFeuerzeig; 10-06-2011 at 02:01 AM.
Old 10-06-2011, 02:39 AM
Super Moderator

Clever. Do you think if I waxed my MFT I could use it for glue-ups? Without the brown paper, I mean.
Old 10-06-2011, 06:49 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelKellough View Post

Each time I see a picture of this cutting board, I think of this guy:

I don't know why. Anyway, great looking cutting board!

Old 10-06-2011, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poto View Post
Clever. Do you think if I waxed my MFT I could use it for glue-ups? Without the brown paper, I mean.

I'd be willing to bet on it. And I sure hope so... Bowclamps and the MFT are a match made in heaven. In fact, I'm going to double down and say that unless you have bowclamps in your shop... you are not getting your money's worth from your MFT. These pics were sent to me... likely from someone here. I think the second one is Roger's (forgive me for not remembering better).