talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Manufacturers & Vendors of Fine Tools > Bowclamp

Bowclamp Modern technology used to realize an age-old idea: a perfect bow shaped arc. The Bowclamp's patented design - made possible only with the help of computerized, numerically-controlled cutting technology (CNC) - allows for equal clamping pressure along the entire length of the glue line... with only one clamp at each end!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-11-2011, 06:39 PM
Super Moderator

Default Re: Cutting board

Isn't this the wrong exercise? I thought we were talking about the transfer of wax to your workpiece and how that might negatively effect your finish. Shouldn't you have simply waxed the surface you were clamping to, clamped a board in place, then remove the clamps and apply a finish to see if your piece picked up any wax from the surface?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 10-11-2011, 06:56 PM

Location: 41N 79W One of the Thirteen Original Colonies of the United States of America

I've used wax paper with success as well as trash bags. I bought a roll of the brown paper at H.D. thinking it would be the cat's meow but it stuck to the project lumber like crazy & made a mess to clean off.
I understand that butcher's paper works well. Butcher Paper
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 10-11-2011, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corwin View Post
Isn't this the wrong exercise? I thought we were talking about the transfer of wax to your workpiece and how that might negatively effect your finish. Shouldn't you have simply waxed the surface you were clamping to, clamped a board in place, then remove the clamps and apply a finish to see if your piece picked up any wax from the surface?
Peter asked why doesn't it stick... and if it would work on MDF.

On the one hand it should make no difference. Contamination would be equally as likely from wax paper, no? And how many glue-ups don't get sanded and/ or cleaned before finishing? I wax my jointer, planer, etc. The wax dries and the excess gets wiped off. Works great. I recommend you try it. And of course if anybody has a problem... finishing or otherwise please report back. I certainly never heard of one.
Old 10-11-2011, 10:09 PM

Lifted right off. Nice distribution of glue, eh?

Old 10-11-2011, 10:19 PM

Corwin, I hope you don't think I'm side-stepping your question. I've finished tons of stuff that has been glued up using this method. As have others.

Honestly, if you were to have a problem... you're using too much wax. Which would be obvious beforehand.
Old 10-11-2011, 11:14 PM
Super Moderator

Pretty cool demonstration, Craig. Thanks

I'm convinced.
Old 10-11-2011, 11:46 PM

Thanks Peter. I may try it again tomorrow with a waxed bowclamp. It'd be cool to lift the glue off in a sheet... and mic it.

Old 10-11-2011, 11:47 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigFeuerzeig View Post
Corwin, I hope you don't think I'm side-stepping your question. I've finished tons of stuff that has been glued up using this method. As have others.

Honestly, if you were to have a problem... you're using too much wax. Which would be obvious beforehand.
Not at all Craig. My question was directed at Roger's concern about waxing the top of an MFT while in the next breath suggested wax paper. My thought was that wax paper and a waxed MFT would be similar, and if he was concerned about any contamination or transfer of wax onto the workpiece, I was curious as what he thought was different between the two. He mentioned how wax paper doesn't leave any wax residue, and yet one can rub wax paper onto a surface to wax said surface. Heck, I can even feel the wax on my hand after holding a piece of wax paper. So, my question was really why waxing a MFT's top would be a problem as using wax paper doesn't seem to be an issue. Sorry for any confusion. And thanks for your input.
Old 10-20-2011, 02:22 AM

Kinda a funny story actually... how I stumbled onto the wax thang.

I was told a story by an RIT guy (great school)... it's apparently an old trick (rite of passage) that the upper class-men play on the freshmen.

They wax the glue-ups on their final projects... and laugh when they all fall apart.

So I certainly didn't invent it. Just learnin' from the masters.
Old 10-22-2011, 10:29 PM

Can you give some details on how the naptha wax mixture is made? Sounds like something I can wipe onto a sacrificial mdf board for glue ups instead of wax paper. Wax paper is a pain, sometimes when tightening up joints it tries to fold up and get caught between the two.