talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Manufacturers & Vendors of Fine Tools > Bowclamp

Bowclamp Modern technology used to realize an age-old idea: a perfect bow shaped arc. The Bowclamp's patented design - made possible only with the help of computerized, numerically-controlled cutting technology (CNC) - allows for equal clamping pressure along the entire length of the glue line... with only one clamp at each end!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-06-2011, 01:58 PM
Super Moderator

Default Re: Cutting board

But he has wax paper all over his glue-up.

But still - I love the idea of using Bowclamps with my MFT. Pop me an email so I can order a set!
Old 10-06-2011, 02:09 PM

Clearly he hasn't seen this thread. And will do... I just hit this (forgive the phone camera quality... does it no justice).

Old 10-06-2011, 03:52 PM
Super Moderator

Sweet! I can see them hanging in my shop-I-mean-garage! Fondle-worthy!
Old 10-07-2011, 04:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigFeuerzeig View Post
I'd be willing to bet on it. And I sure hope so... Bowclamps and the MFT are a match made in heaven. In fact, I'm going to double down and say that unless you have bowclamps in your shop... you are not getting your money's worth from your MFT. These pics were sent to me... likely from someone here. I think the second one is Roger's (forgive me for not remembering better).

Hi Craig,

Yup, the second pic is was my old studio.
Sadly my nice organized clamp wall in that photo hasn't resurfaced in my new studio as yet. You never realize how many clamps one has accumulated until you have to move them. And I'm still moving stuff out of my old studio (I've pushed my get out date two times now) My new Zen-clean lower room (with super-white walls and super-white epoxy/urethane floor) that's going to be my painting (canvas) and finishing room is now looking like the last scene of Citizen Cane when you see Rosebud buried in the corner of a warehouse setting. (And I'm still chucking a four by six foot bin once a week!)
Over ten years doing a variety of crafts means major accumulation, as a friend commented (as we tried to figure out how long it would take to sort, chuck and pack up each little area) This is bizzaro-land! Logic doesn't apply!

Peter!
But I digress, regarding the wax paper - personally I would stick with that rather than making my mft's into surfboards with wax. (Sorry Craig)The reason being is I wouldn't want any cross contamination with regards to future finishing of a piece that would happen on that table before it goes to "finish". Also, drippy glue thru my mft holes would leave a "Sam Francis" effect on my floor below. I get the bulk roll of wax paper from Smart and Final - works like a charm.

cheers,
roger
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 10-07-2011, 05:02 AM
Super Moderator

Thanks Roger. I tend to agree about the paper - I have a big roll of brown paper from HD. But wax paper makes even more sense.
Old 10-07-2011, 05:26 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerSavatteri View Post
Peter!
But I digress, regarding the wax paper - personally I would stick with that rather than making my mft's into surfboards with wax. (Sorry Craig)The reason being is I wouldn't want any cross contamination with regards to future finishing of a piece that would happen on that table before it goes to "finish". ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poto View Post
Thanks Roger. I tend to agree about the paper - I have a big roll of brown paper from HD. But wax paper makes even more sense.
Question: Wouldn't the wax paper have the same potential problem as a waxed table top in regards to contaminating your workpiece?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 10-07-2011, 05:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corwin View Post
Question: Wouldn't the wax paper have the same potential problem as a waxed table top in regards to contaminating your workpiece?
hmmm,

how?

The wax paper only deals with the work being addressed at that moment.
So, when the work is done, you have a virgin tabletop sans wax.
So, anything resting on that tabletop is not corrupted with wax residue.

Now, regarding the work being addressed at that moment of glue up - wax paper does not leave a residue.
It's like, hmm - Teflon paper.

Old 10-07-2011, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corwin View Post
It would to me... same thing right?

Bowclamps come dipped in wax... the excess gets wiped off, but the pores get filled. Same as the bench. Wax on, wax off... as they say. Never had/ or heard of a problem.

But either way will work fine. And Roger I hear you about the holes/glue on floor... in my shop, you'd never notice.
Old 10-07-2011, 01:33 PM
Super Moderator

Location: Grew up in Peekskill, NY; Now living in Northwest Kansas

+1 on the wax paper and Roger's explanation. When I was in college shop class, that was all we used. Wide rolls are available in the restaurant supply section of your local warehouse club (Sam's, Costco & etc.). The wax on wax paper is parafin, which does not soak off like furniture paste waxes.

"If you have good manners and are well spoken, you can be welcome anywhere." -Mom, 1959
Old 10-07-2011, 02:17 PM

I should probably add that in the shop, the wax I use is thinned with denatured alcohol... so there is no residue. Well, virtually none. The bench gets wiped with straight Butchers wax, however, but rubbed in. If I scrape my finger nail on wax paper, I'll get wax under my fingernail. Not so with my bench. I'm not necessarily advocating one system over another, either seem to work fine.