talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Manufacturers & Vendors of Fine Tools > Bowclamp

Bowclamp Modern technology used to realize an age-old idea: a perfect bow shaped arc. The Bowclamp's patented design - made possible only with the help of computerized, numerically-controlled cutting technology (CNC) - allows for equal clamping pressure along the entire length of the glue line... with only one clamp at each end!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2010, 01:17 AM
Super Moderator

Default Re: Bowclamp Inserts

Ahem...Audie, while the force applied to Ron's inserts is large, it is distributed over enough surface area that the pressure experienced by the wood fibers is not enough to cause failure. Remember, you're pushing against the big flat part of the bowclamp, not against the walls of the slot.
Old 12-04-2010, 02:12 AM

Location: 41N 79W One of the Thirteen Original Colonies of the United States of America

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poto View Post
Ahem...Audie, while the force applied to Ron's inserts is large, it is distributed over enough surface area that the pressure experienced by the wood fibers is not enough to cause failure. Remember, you're pushing against the big flat part of the bowclamp, not against the walls of the slot.
To add to Poto's as usual astute point - the fit of the insert into the Bow's slot is snug with little clearance so as to help spread the force over the insert's length to the Bow creating a different situation than if say there were a 1/4" of clearance which would localize the force at a couple of points - quod erat demonstrandum.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12-04-2010, 04:31 AM

It's tough to compete against the arrayed FORCES of Peter and Ron...

but in THIS CASE, with the threaded rods and Ron's t-clamp BEYOND the workpiece, are we sure the backside of the Bowclamp - i.e., those few fibers of which I speak - aren't the ones being affected?????
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12-04-2010, 04:32 AM

(I know one way to find out, but it's not going to be with MY Bowclamps!)
Old 12-04-2010, 04:50 AM

Location: 41N 79W One of the Thirteen Original Colonies of the United States of America

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaRanger View Post
(I know one way to find out, but it's not going to be with MY Bowclamps!)
I've used them (the set that I gave Fred) and they work fine. The correct & best solution for most is to buy the proper F-clamps that fit the slots as designed by the Bow clamp manufacturer. I have less that $10. in materials so for me the best solution was to make the inserts.
I imagine with F-clamps that wedge into the slots they would be manageable by one person to set the "clamp assembly" in place quickly at glue-up. I only have parallel clamps that won't fit the slots so it was nearly impossible for one person to do glue-ups.