talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Manufacturers & Vendors of Fine Tools > Bowclamp

Bowclamp Modern technology used to realize an age-old idea: a perfect bow shaped arc. The Bowclamp's patented design - made possible only with the help of computerized, numerically-controlled cutting technology (CNC) - allows for equal clamping pressure along the entire length of the glue line... with only one clamp at each end!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2010, 06:57 PM

Location: 41N 79W One of the Thirteen Original Colonies of the United States of America
Default Re: Bowclamp Inserts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelKellough View Post
I agree that 1/4-20 steel rod can handle the tension but it might not handle the handling. A Bowclamp is a long lever and a 1/4-20 threaded rod is less than 3/16" in cross section.

If the inserts are easily inserted so you take the rod with inserts to the already positioned Bowclamps, and you have speed nuts on the rods, it might work well enough with 1/4-20.

For an assembly 3 feet wide or more using 4 foot or bigger Bowcalmps I'd want at least 1/2" all-thread.

If I couldn't find fast acting slip nuts I'd get some of these long wing nuts.

I agree Michael, that was why I used the 5/8-11 originally, in addition I thought by using that large diameter coupling nut I could avoid using a wrench but the bare nut doesn't provide enough grip to draw down the bow Clamps as they should be. Since I have those rods & nuts I may try putting some shrink tubing over the nut for more grip.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11-17-2010, 08:40 PM

So I've just ordered a set of bowclamps and am excited about getting them sometime in the next year or two (the French post / UPS / DHL etc are amazing - a next day air package from New York once took 10 days! A next day delivery parcel we sent from here to Paris arrived back here 3 weeks later)

That gives me plenty of time to think about clamps. I know that with Bowclamps I won't need as many - but I'd like to get some that easily fit in the slot and I don't think any of mine will.
I haven't seen a recommendation in the various threads. Apologies if I have missed something.
What do you all recommend? I can get any of the Bessey range, but the only Jorgensen's easily available are the pipe clamps with the flat rectangular heads which look to big to fit in the slot. As I work on my own I am "shorthanded" so to speak.
Thanks in advance,
Richard.
Old 12-03-2010, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moulinabois View Post
What do you all recommend?

Thanks in advance,
Richard.

Old 12-03-2010, 04:45 PM

Location: 41N 79W One of the Thirteen Original Colonies of the United States of America

I work by myself and have trouble when trying to work quickly during glue-ups positioning two Bow clamps and two clamps, then tightening. With that I made some inserts that accept treaded rod and tighten with coupling nuts. While dry fitting the bows & rods can be preset to the approximate needed size then the assembly quickly lowed into place and tightened. I gave the original set (4) to Fred which I made to use 5/8" threaded rod -- they worked great but the 5/8" was overkill. The new set that I made for myself uses 3/8-16 rod. This can allow using either coupling nuts or quick set 3/8" knobs. I haven't had occasion to try these new one yet but I have no doubt they will work fine. I made them of metal because that is easy for me but I believe they could be made of dense ply or phenolic and still be strong enough to withstand the FORCE applied.

(By the way, the set screws aren't really needed)
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12-03-2010, 05:01 PM
Administrator

Nice work, Ron (as usual).
Old 12-03-2010, 05:53 PM

Question Wait a minute - I'm not sure I like this

Here is what I see from Ron's pictures, starting back with the original post. Someone (Ron... ) please tell me where I am misunderstanding.

1. Ron's insert is a t-shape, with approximately 1" inserted into each end of a Bowclamp. Call it the t-leg, as opposed to the t's cross-arm, which is perpendicular and remains outside the clamp.

2. Using threaded rod, those inserts draw in the Bowclamp as designed, but do so by -

3. offsetting 100% of the force created by shortening the threaded rod on the outside of that 1" of "t-leg".

4. Similarly, that same 100% of force thus also is applied to the very, very small amount (1" long by about 3/16" or so) of Bowclamp wood fibers that are outside the clamp's slot. That wood may be fine strong rock maple, but this seems to me to be a recipe for building firewood.....

Ron appears to be much more than a competent engineer, so what's wrong with my analysis?
Old 12-03-2010, 05:54 PM

i should have written "close to 100%". There are a few offsetting vectors. My gist remains, however.
Old 12-03-2010, 07:07 PM

Ranger, Your perception is correct although really no different than inserting "F-clamps" into the slot (which is why it's there). The screw threads would allow for enough force generated to fail the bow clamp (as would an F-clamp) -- once the bow in the BC is straight/flat is the time to stop cranking. Going any further would actually cause the center of the bow to unload and defeat it's purpose and a bit further would be catastrophic failure of the BC .
Old 12-03-2010, 07:12 PM

Send a message via ICQ to TahoeTwoBears

So, Ron,

Have you got these for sale?

Mike
Old 12-03-2010, 07:17 PM

Not yet I stay busy enough with my Domino plates and I'm about to start with a bracket for the LR32 system which will hold the Domino and allow for any angle of mortises at the LR32 spacing -- good for shelves, shutters, etc. -- I actually prefer to learn some woodworking but the orders just keep coming...