talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Manufacturers & Vendors of Fine Tools > Bowclamp

Bowclamp Modern technology used to realize an age-old idea: a perfect bow shaped arc. The Bowclamp's patented design - made possible only with the help of computerized, numerically-controlled cutting technology (CNC) - allows for equal clamping pressure along the entire length of the glue line... with only one clamp at each end!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2010, 08:55 PM

Location: The northernmost end of the southernmost county of New York
Default Re: Bowclamp Inserts

By the way, that looks more like 1/2-13 rod.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 03-24-2010, 09:13 PM
Super Moderator

Yes, but are Fred's the same as the ones in the pictures?
Old 03-24-2010, 11:36 PM

Location: 41N 79W One of the Thirteen Original Colonies of the United States of America

They are exactly the same ones that you see in the picture. Those are 5/8-11 rods. I haven't been able to get any "machine time" from my friend so i gave Fred (4) of the ones that I already had made -- he had been patiently waiting for quite some time. I'll get around to making myself some more whenever my friends business slows down a bit. I suggested to fred to get 3/8-16 rod and the Rockler quick-knobs (5/8-11 is way over kill).

I really do think at some point I'll try some phenolic ply or such -- they could then be made with a router, etc.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 03-24-2010, 11:44 PM
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RONWEN View Post
They are exactly the same ones that you see in the picture. Those are 5/8-11 rods. I haven't been able to get any "machine time" from my friend so i gave Fred (4) of the ones that I already had made -- he had been patiently waiting for quite some time. I'll get around to making myself some more whenever my friends business slows down a bit. I suggested to fred to get 3/8-16 rod and the Rockler quick-knobs (5/8-11 is way over kill).

I really do think at some point I'll try some phenolic ply or such -- they could then be made with a router, etc.
Ron,

I did not realize that you gave me the ones that you had initially made. Thank you very, very much but dude, I would have waited. I am sorry that you gave me these and left yourself with none.

Fred
Kapex, OF2200,Domino,TS 75, Trion PS 300, RO 150, RO 90, ETS 150/5, ETS 150/3, DTS 400, RS 400, LS 130, RS 2, Deltex 93, RAS 115, CT 33, CT 22, CT 26 CT Midi, OF 1400, MFK 700, C 12, LR 32 3, Shinex, MFT/3s, 3 MFT 1080s, WCR 1000, UG-KA-SET, 10 Sysports, 2 Walko's, Marcou's J20A, S20A, M12, S45, S55A, VSP 40, Brese 650-55J, Sauer & Steiner XSNo.4, SS Jointer, A5 Desert Ironwood and #4 Damascus, Knew Concepts 8 inch Fretsaw, Knew Concepts 5 inch Titanium Fretsaw, Hammer K3 48x48, Hammer A3 31
Old 03-25-2010, 12:01 AM

Location: 41N 79W One of the Thirteen Original Colonies of the United States of America

Hey Fred, That's just the kind of guy i am...

(I'll get around to making more.)
Old 03-25-2010, 02:35 PM

Ya think that CNC over in the corner...hmm.
Old 03-25-2010, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigFeuerzeig View Post
Ya think that CNC over in the corner...hmm.
Does it have a tool changer?
Old 03-25-2010, 04:15 PM

No... What am I missing? Also I'm not getting the warm fuzzies with the plywood. I don't think it'll do, with the "grain" that direction. I'm going with hardwood.

I think this might be a good solution to a problem that Paul-Marcel is having right now. Clamping things down to his bench which is a few inches to long to get his clamps on the Bowclamps. He doesn't necessarily need the additional clamping distance as much as a little additional reach. Certainly going to be a cheaper solution than longer Bowclamps.

But... workin' on that too.
Old 03-25-2010, 04:55 PM
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RONWEN View Post
I suggested to fred to get 3/8-16 rod and the Rockler quick-knobs (5/8-11 is way over kill).
I'm thinking 3/8-16 (~10mm) is overkill.

The rod's in tension so I don't think 1/4-20 (6mm) rod would fail.

If I'm wrong, enlarge the holes and use 3/8 rod.

With 1/4-20, you could use these elegant brass speed nuts from Lee Valley, available separately in a pack of 4 for 9.95 USD (05F01.03).

bowclamp-inserts-05f0120s2.jpg
Old 03-25-2010, 06:03 PM

Location: The northernmost end of the southernmost county of New York

I agree that 1/4-20 steel rod can handle the tension but it might not handle the handling. A Bowclamp is a long lever and a 1/4-20 threaded rod is less than 3/16" in cross section.

If the inserts are easily inserted so you take the rod with inserts to the already positioned Bowclamps, and you have speed nuts on the rods, it might work well enough with 1/4-20.

For an assembly 3 feet wide or more using 4 foot or bigger Bowcalmps I'd want at least 1/2" all-thread.

If I couldn't find fast acting slip nuts I'd get some of these long wing nuts.