talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Manufacturers & Vendors of Fine Tools > Bowclamp

Bowclamp Modern technology used to realize an age-old idea: a perfect bow shaped arc. The Bowclamp's patented design - made possible only with the help of computerized, numerically-controlled cutting technology (CNC) - allows for equal clamping pressure along the entire length of the glue line... with only one clamp at each end!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-21-2009, 01:55 PM
Perfect Little Angel

Default Re: Bowclamp Inserts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerSavatteri View Post
to get the maximum usage of the length of the bowclamp.

a threaded rod would diminish that, even in the photo above things would be a tad tight if that were done.

it also brings the clamping pressure pass the end of the bowclamp, therefore increasing its "bowclamp-ness".

But using the correct clamps (pony steel bar clamps) in the Bowclamps, they fit in there snug (I'm assuming sort of like the inserts) and make them much easier to clamp. It's hard to use them (the bowclamps) when you're using parralel clamps like the bessys.
Old 12-21-2009, 02:21 PM

Location: 41N 79W One of the Thirteen Original Colonies of the United States of America

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisM View Post
But using the correct clamps (pony steel bar clamps) in the Bowclamps, they fit in there snug (I'm assuming sort of like the inserts) and make them much easier to clamp. It's hard to use them (the bowclamps) when you're using parralel clamps like the bessys.
That was my problem, I don't own any clamps that fit into the T-slots. Keeping in mind that 90% of the time I'll use the Bowclamps directly opposite of each other the clamp has to fit in at both ends.
I found that I didn't have enough hands when trying to hold two Bowclamps and tighten two parallel clamps (one on each end) to hold everything in position. ...and with the clock ticking on glue setting up in several dovetails at all four corners.
I decided what would work best for me is making the inserts -- now I can set the whole clamp assembly (like a picture frame) down over the top of the workpiece & draw the Bowclamps nicely down. I do think that I'll either apply some "grippy" handle compound to the nuts or make some wooden handles to epoxy the nuts into -- I can't quite tighten the nuts enough by hand just by gripping the nut.
Else, Corwin may have the solution of simply using wing nuts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12-21-2009, 03:11 PM

Location: The northernmost end of the southernmost county of New York

Ron's rig is cool, and very nicely made.

The right clamps don't reduce the usable length of the Bowclamp either.

Which clamps work best?

Is the slot big enough for Jorgensen Pony deep reach pipe clamp screw pads to fit?

Two of these screw heads on a length of 3/4" black pipe would could (if they fit) make it easier to deploy a pair of Bowclamps. The pipe clamp would be in the middle of the Bowclamps.

Another option is to attach a pair of Bowclamps to an aluminum bar clamp.

You don't need much adjustment range when the clamp in in the middle of the Bowclamp. Just enough to get the Bowclamps in position and keep them from moving while you get your clamps tight on the business end.

Another option for the holding a pair of Bowclamps idea. Clamp saddles fitted to another clamp or simply a piece of bar stock.

However, if you get the clamps that fit the slots well, probably something like this, with a little practice I'm sure you can get a pair of Bowclamps deployed quickly.

This is probably all spelled out at the Bowclamp website, if not directly then in the photos of Bowclamps in action.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12-21-2009, 04:09 PM

Location: 41N 79W One of the Thirteen Original Colonies of the United States of America

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelKellough View Post
Ron's rig is cool, and very nicely made.

The right clamps don't reduce the usable length of the Bowclamp either.

Which clamps work best?

Is the slot big enough for Jorgensen Pony deep reach pipe clamp screw pads to fit?

Two of these screw heads on a length of 3/4" black pipe would could (if they fit) make it easier to deploy a pair of Bowclamps. The pipe clamp would be in the middle of the Bowclamps.

Another option is to attach a pair of Bowclamps to an aluminum bar clamp.

You don't need much adjustment range when the clamp in in the middle of the Bowclamp. Just enough to get the Bowclamps in position and keep them from moving while you get your clamps tight on the business end.

Another option for the holding a pair of Bowclamps idea. Clamp saddles fitted to another clamp or simply a piece of bar stock.

However, if you get the clamps that fit the slots well, probably something like this, with a little practice I'm sure you can get a pair of Bowclamps deployed quickly.

This is probably all spelled out at the Bowclamp website, if not directly then in the photos of Bowclamps in action.
From Craig's website:
Do I need a specific type of clamp to use with The Bowclamp?
"Bowclamps work with virtually any clamp on the market. While F-syle clamps attach into the T-slot, greatly reducing fumbling... pipe clamps and parallel jaw clamps fit right over the back and work equally well."

I believe that they are a great caul that will work with virtually any clamp. Instead of buying clamps that would fit better (to make it easier) I chose another option for less than a total of $11.00 of materials.
Old 12-21-2009, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RONWEN View Post

I believe that they are a great caul that will work with virtually any clamp. Instead of buying clamps that would fit better (to make it easier) I chose another option for less than a total of $11.00 of materials.
That's easy for you to say. Few of us have the skill or tools to make such implements.
Old 12-21-2009, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelKellough View Post
That's easy for you to say. Few of us have the skill or tools to make such implements.
I'm pretty sure that the inserts will work just as well when made from phenolic ply. I'll give it a try. If so anyone with a router can make their own.

Buy Phenolic Faced MultiPly, 3/4" x 24" x 48" at Woodcraft.com
Old 12-23-2009, 01:16 PM

In case my link got missed... these from Rockler are quick release. You don't have to thread them the entire length of the rod.

One of these days I'll get around to offering a package on the website... along with other options... no t-slot, different sizes, different species etc.
Old 03-24-2010, 07:32 PM
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigFeuerzeig View Post
In case my link got missed... these from Rockler are quick release. You don't have to thread them the entire length of the rod.

One of these days I'll get around to offering a package on the website... along with other options... no t-slot, different sizes, different species etc.

Craig, et al,

I have been quite remiss in thanking Ronwen for making me four of the metal inserts that he came up with. These inserts are really, really well made and the weight is exactly 476 grams on each one. I cannot thank Ron enough. Of course when I went to my local hardware store they did not have the 3/8-16 threaded rod. Everything else but not that. So, I need to order the Rockler star knobs as well but I am really pleased to have the inserts. RON is the man, man!!!

Fred
Kapex, OF2200,Domino,TS 75, Trion PS 300, RO 150, RO 90, ETS 150/5, ETS 150/3, DTS 400, RS 400, LS 130, RS 2, Deltex 93, RAS 115, CT 33, CT 22, CT 26 CT Midi, OF 1400, MFK 700, C 12, LR 32 3, Shinex, MFT/3s, 3 MFT 1080s, WCR 1000, UG-KA-SET, 10 Sysports, 2 Walko's, Marcou's J20A, S20A, M12, S45, S55A, VSP 40, Brese 650-55J, Sauer & Steiner XSNo.4, SS Jointer, A5 Desert Ironwood and #4 Damascus, Knew Concepts 8 inch Fretsaw, Knew Concepts 5 inch Titanium Fretsaw, Hammer K3 48x48, Hammer A3 31
Old 03-24-2010, 07:41 PM
Super Moderator

Worthless
Old 03-24-2010, 08:54 PM

From page 1.