talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Manufacturers & Vendors of Fine Tools > Blum Tool Company

Blum Tool Company Unique designs for Quality Tools. Maker of wooden bench, block, and scraper planes. Also, sharpening jigs, portable and stationary workbenches, mallets, and more to come.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-16-2009, 03:22 AM

Default Hi to all

Hello,

My name is Gary Blum and I am the owner of Blum Tool Co. I would first like to thank Fred ( and whoever else) for setting up this manufacturers forum section. I think it is a great idea and takes away all the uncertainty of whether or not to post and what is allowed as happens on the other forums.

I have ( and still do ) run a furniture/cabinet shop called Blum's Furniture Shop for the last 22 years in Walnut, Iowa. I caught the woodworking bug real bad in college, which quickly morphed into tool collecting also. I'm sure I am the only student who ever kept old tools in his dresser drawers and then kept them open so I could look at them. Good thing I was an RA and had my own room! I built several pieces of furniture in there and used hand tools out of necessity. I just didn't figure I could keep the noise down enough with a tablesaw.

This interest in woodworking and tools stayed with me through the years and I was always sketching designs for tools, planes especially. I have had various Felder machines for the last 15 years, and their planer cuterhead with the insert knives is what got me thinking that if that little knife will stand up to 5000 RPMs, why couldn't you design a system for a hand plane using the same principle. A small knife with massive backup for support. Once I had that idea, the actual design came pretty quickly. The idea for my portable workbenches came about over the noon hour one day after working all morning off the floor at jobsite where I was building a fireplace wall. I was just trying to save my knees. Wilth those two ideas , I decided to start developing them and started this venture. I do have patents on my sharpening box and portable workbenches, and a patent pending on my plane design.

I very much enjoy meeting fellow woodworkers and talking tools. I did get to meet some of the TF guys at WIA in Philly. I of couse know Fred and then Joe Raftery, but I can't remember the names of the other two guys at the table. I do remember their political persuasion though! I met Michail Kellough also.

Thanks everyone for your indulgence on this little writeup. Blum Tool Co. is a very small outfit that consists of me and my wife Ruth. I personally make every tool that leaves my shop, and when you call either her or I will answer the phone. We will always strive to answer e-mails quickly, so our customers are kept informed. Feel free to call or e-mail with any questions you might have.

Thank you.

Gary Blum
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11-16-2009, 03:48 AM

Default Re: Hi to all

Welcome Gary!

how about a link to your website?

Eiji Fuller
Old 11-16-2009, 03:52 AM
Founding Member

Gary,

Welcome to talkFestool! I find your planes fascinating. They combine the beauty of a wood plane with advanced blade technology.

Since you didn't include link to your site so that we could look at your lovely planes, I decided to be bold and post them. The home page: © Blum Tool Company - Unique Designs for Quality Tools. Your gallery of pics are very nice and this is a good description of the technical details.

I hope you enjoy it here!

Best regards,

Dan.
Old 11-16-2009, 04:05 AM

Location: The northernmost end of the southernmost county of New York

Welcome Gary!

Thanks for sharing your story of WWing in the dorm,
that's about as unusual as your planes.

I really like the fact that you carried out your radical hand plane design. It makes a ton of sense yet it still seems to be too different for most people to accept. I tried your planes and they work great.

The only one I didn't try is the block plane which suddenly lept into my mind when I saw your post.

There are lots of small block planes out there, some are even called "apron plane" but this is the only one that won't drag your apron down when it's in the pocket.

I was also very impressed with the workbenches. They're a great combination of stability, versatility, and it's amazing that they're portable.

Finally, I'm mystified at how you know you met me. I'm sure I didn't bother to introduce myself as I rarely do and I'd just had the amusing experience of introducing myself to my Festool ISW (of five years) and he had already started to walk away before the introduction meant anything to him.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11-16-2009, 05:11 AM
Super Moderator

Welcome Gary! That's me with my back to the camera in your picture. The one with short hair...

Wish I'd spent more time looking at your stuff at WIA. I think your ideas are very clever, and I would have loved to try out your planes. Excellent nonlinear thinking!
Old 11-20-2009, 02:15 PM

Thanks to everyone for the warm welcome. I think I will really enjoy it here.

John, I called you Joe in my first post. Sorry about that. And I had even met you in person.

Michael, I'm not sure you ever did introduce yourself. I saw a picture you posted of you and I talking at my booth, so I guess that's how I figured we had met. I'm sure I was explaining the many benefits of my plane design to you!

Thanks, Dan, for putting in a link to my website. I can't believe I forgot to add that.

Oh, and since this is a Festool forum, I should mention that I have a few of them myself. Drill, jigsaw, sander,etc. For a cabinetmaker, I think the offset chuck for the drill is the handiest thing they have. I couldn't operate without it. But like others, I don't have as many Festools as Fred!

Kind Regards,
Gary Blum
Old 11-21-2009, 10:10 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to Philip Marcou

Welcome Gary,
It is okay to let us see pictures of your latest planes- the area is a no go one for the Taliban Woodworkers
Old 11-21-2009, 03:02 PM

Thanks, Phillip

I hope you're right. I am a little gunshy, though.
Old 11-21-2009, 06:20 PM

No reason to be gunshy here Gary.
Old 11-25-2009, 05:05 AM
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Blum View Post
Thanks, Phillip

I hope you're right. I am a little gunshy, though.
Gary,

Philip is 100% correct as the Taliban Woodworker's are booted faster than you can spell Taliban.
I just received the block plane that Michael posted the picture of from Gary as an upgrade to my first one. Gary, I am sorry, in that I have still not sent the other back but will try to do so tomorrow.

However, the new block plane is a dream. It cuts quite beautifully, has a great balance, feels wonderful and is beautiful. Other than that, not so hot. I really like the higher angle as well as the bronze knurled adjuster. Great job Gary.

Fred
Kapex, OF2200,Domino,TS 75, Trion PS 300, RO 150, RO 90, ETS 150/5, ETS 150/3, DTS 400, RS 400, LS 130, RS 2, Deltex 93, RAS 115, CT 33, CT 22, CT 26 CT Midi, OF 1400, MFK 700, C 12, LR 32 3, Shinex, MFT/3s, 3 MFT 1080s, WCR 1000, UG-KA-SET, 10 Sysports, 2 Walko's, Marcou's J20A, S20A, M12, S45, S55A, VSP 40, Brese 650-55J, Sauer & Steiner XSNo.4, SS Jointer, A5 Desert Ironwood and #4 Damascus, Knew Concepts 8 inch Fretsaw, Knew Concepts 5 inch Titanium Fretsaw, Hammer K3 48x48, Hammer A3 31