talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Manufacturers & Vendors of Fine Tools > Benchcrafted

Benchcrafted Effortless Woodworking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2014, 01:27 AM
Super Moderator

Location: Grew up in Peekskill, NY; Now living in Northwest Kansas
Default Galbert Draw Sharp

After the Blank Slate shop project this fall, my materials budget is shot for few months, so I have resorted to scrounging old stashes and the City burn pile for wood. I recovered some juniper to make legs for a table I am building for a charity auction in a few weeks. I had to prepare them with a draw knife, which needed a good honing.

One of the last tools Fred "led" me to at WIA 2013 was the draw sharp made by Benchcrafted. It is one of those tools I bought knowing I would need it someday, but not exactly when. It was a lifesaver today!
Attached Thumbnails
galbert-draw-sharp-image-4122309371.jpg  

"If you have good manners and are well spoken, you can be welcome anywhere." -Mom, 1959
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12-29-2014, 01:04 PM

Send a message via ICQ to TahoeTwoBears
Default Re: Galbert Draw Sharp

That's good to hear. I bought one as well, but just found my drawknives yesterday. I'm still digging and sorting and organizing. At least it's fun. Hope to find the Galbert soon....
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12-29-2014, 04:31 PM

Whenever I see a drawknife it reminds me of a story. Here in New Mexico they are used traditionally to peel bark from pine trees and round them off to make the poles (vigas) used to hold up roofs and porches. When I took a handtools class, the teacher held up a drawknife and my bench mate, a local hispanic, almost bolted. He complained that his grandfather wore him out every summer peeling vigas with one of those things and he never wanted to see one again!
Old 12-29-2014, 06:44 PM
Super Moderator

That's what I was doing with thte juniper branches. They were peeling quite easily with the razor-sharp knife.

"If you have good manners and are well spoken, you can be welcome anywhere." -Mom, 1959
Old 12-29-2014, 07:56 PM
Super Moderator

I saw that draw sharp when I was at Fred's house, and was wondering how it worked. Would it be possible for you to post some pictures of how you operate it, Alex? Can you use it for other blades?

Love those proud butterflies!
Old 12-31-2014, 10:15 PM
Super Moderator

I think the Drawsharp only will work on long blades. It might work on a battle sword or machete, but I don't have one handy to test that on. It might be next year before I can post pictures, as it is two-handed operation and I'll have to get my shop assistant, Donna, to take the pictures.

Thanks for the compliment on the butterflies! On projects like these, I let the wood tell me how to build it. I could have worked them to be flush with the curvature of the tree section, but the little voices told me to emphasize the imperfection of the cracks and necessary repairs for design enhancement.

Old 01-04-2015, 09:57 PM
Super Moderator

My shop assistant showed up today with tea & pecan pie, so I had her take some photos. This one shows honing on the bevel side of the blade. You set the blade against the nylon bumpers and move the hone column to fit the bevel + one tick on the scale for a micro bevel. Add light honing oil and slide back & forth, keeping the spine of the blade against the bumpers for a consistent angle.
Attached Thumbnails
galbert-draw-sharp-image-1866975955.jpg  

Old 01-04-2015, 09:59 PM
Super Moderator

The same process is used on the back of the cutting edge, including the micro bevel.
Attached Thumbnails
galbert-draw-sharp-image-323912774.jpg  

Old 01-05-2015, 04:29 AM
Super Moderator

I see. Pretty cool!
Old 01-05-2015, 04:40 AM
Super Moderator

The other thing I forgot to mention is the honing "boxes" can slide up on the copper columns or be inverted to present a fresh abrasive if they get worn. Both the diamond plate and emery paper can be replaced, as can the black wear plate the bumpers sit on. This is really one of the best values and most innovative sharpening tools out there!