talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Manufacturers & Vendors of Fine Tools > Benchcrafted

Benchcrafted Effortless Woodworking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-27-2011, 03:45 AM

Default Our New Moxon Vise

Just wanted to tip you all off to our new Moxon vise. I'm so excited to offer this. I just love this vise, and I'm not just saying that.

Here's a quick video:

More details at the website: BenchCrafted.com - Moxon Vise
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-27-2011, 04:13 AM
Super Moderator

Default Re: Our New Moxon Vise

Very nice, Jameel. I could even see that on my MFT. Great video. A good lesson on cutting tenons there!
Old 07-27-2011, 05:06 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to PaulMarcel

Been wanting to make a 'joinery benchtop bench' and seeing that nice hardware convinced me to pick it up. Ordered the hardware kit earlier this afternoon. I'll likely make the version that has a small bench behind it for support since my MDF and/or MFT benchtop aren't too swell for hold-downs.

And I have a nice stick of 8/4 Purpleheart
Old 07-27-2011, 05:18 AM

Way to go Jameel!

Very well done video as well.

I just installed a few weeks ago a 22 foot Timberstrand bench / counter in my new studio. (The one you saw Paul Marcel - in fact I'm in the process of installing another one downstairs)
This would work beautifuly after I drill some hold down holes.

I'm gonna order one tomorrow!
(hmmm, I wouldn't want to be on the wait list after WIA!)

cheers,
Roger

Last edited by RogerSavatteri; 07-27-2011 at 05:22 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-27-2011, 05:36 AM

Location: The northernmost end of the southernmost county of New York

Jameel, what are the washer-like things under the hand wheel? They aren't mentioned in the description. Steel? Nylon? Thrust bearing?
Old 07-27-2011, 09:54 AM

Jameel,

Another question,

Are the "acme screws" available in optional longer lengths?

And through your experimental stage when designing the vise, what are the longest spacing of the clamping elements you tried? (with the same milled stock)

roger

Last edited by RogerSavatteri; 07-27-2011 at 09:57 AM.
Old 07-27-2011, 10:04 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to PaulMarcel

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerSavatteri View Post
Way to go Jameel!

Very well done video as well.

I just installed a few weeks ago a 22 foot Timberstrand bench / counter in my new studio. (The one you saw Paul Marcel - in fact I'm in the process of installing another one downstairs)
This would work beautifuly after I drill some hold down holes.

I'm gonna order one tomorrow!
(hmmm, I wouldn't want to be on the wait list after WIA!)

cheers,
Roger
Downstairs?! But that's your canvas for painting! Or are you still going to paint that wall, but also have a bench? That could be nice; different view down there.

The other key reason I ordered this afternoon when I saw this answered my problem is because it says there's a limited first run. They'll do another after, but I'm assuming there's a certain threshold after which the order will be made and people will queue up.

I was practicing dovetails tonight thinking I would have loved this bench. Being all hunched over can't help. Much like 90F doesn't help.
Old 07-27-2011, 12:47 PM

Ok, there goes this year's impulse buy. Hopefully the Moxon vise will arrive with a bit of suede too. Should make a good addition to my bench as the back does not like bending so much any more.

BTW, Jameel, do you happen to have a wheel kit for a 1 ton bench?
Old 07-27-2011, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulMarcel View Post
Downstairs?! But that's your canvas for painting! Or are you still going to paint that wall, but also have a bench? That could be nice; different view
On the window side.
The blank wall is being kept pristine.
Old 07-27-2011, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelKellough View Post
Jameel, what are the washer-like things under the hand wheel? They aren't mentioned in the description. Steel? Nylon? Thrust bearing?
Thanks everybody! Those washer-like things are actually...wait for it...washers! They are steel and prevent the hand wheels from digging into the movable jaw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerSavatteri View Post
Jameel,

Another question,

Are the "acme screws" available in optional longer lengths?

And through your experimental stage when designing the vise, what are the longest spacing of the clamping elements you tried? (with the same milled stock)
roger
If we get enough call, we will offer longer lengths as an accessory. Right now max capacity is 2-1/4". How much capacity would you want? Keep in mind that the more capacity you require, the longer the screws will protrude from the front of the vise. If you get too long they will get in the way.

If you're talking about space between the screws, just over 24" since most case pieces rarely get wider than that. Any longer and the thing would be pretty huge. But for permanent mounting a wider vise would work. If you wanted to make one with more width capacity I would beef up the jaws a bit, but that would only affect the jaw's flex when using the large-capacity version for narrow stuff--wide stuff would get held just fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groggy View Post
Ok, there goes this year's impulse buy. Hopefully the Moxon vise will arrive with a bit of suede too. Should make a good addition to my bench as the back does not like bending so much any more.

BTW, Jameel, do you happen to have a wheel kit for a 1 ton bench?
Complete vises and hardware-only versions both include suede.