talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Woodworking Machinery and Tools > Machines and Power Tools > Bandsaws

Bandsaws Discussion about one of the most important machines in the shop.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2011, 05:34 PM

Default De-tension or not to de- tension?

Im an absent minded professor, not to disrespect professors , and more often than not forget to release the tension on the band. I've heard that's bad for the saw and blade and I've heard it's not. What's the story and do I need to put up a sign on my door to remind me before I leave the shop?
Old 01-03-2011, 05:41 PM

Default Re: De-tension or not to de- tension?

The instructions that came with my Laguna said the tension should be released after use. But, I too had trouble remembering. I've now developed the habit of pushing against the blade as I walk by the saw to check. And, I still find that occasionally I have forgotten but since I walk past the saw often it has not stayed tensioned for days, weeks anymore.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 01-03-2011, 05:43 PM

I forget all the time as well. And I am paying for it. My 1/2" blade is now shaped to the wheel so that it bumps and shudders a LOT. Makes a smooth cut impossible. Pretty frustrating. I have a 14" Rikon by the way.
Old 01-03-2011, 05:51 PM

Looks like a sign is in order.

"Release the band!"

Or

"Did you say goodbye to your bandsaw?"
Old 01-03-2011, 06:22 PM
Super Moderator

I've heard that leaving the tension in will also flatten the tire, making a bump on the wheel. On the other hand, if you're using your saw every day, it's probably not as big a problem as if you just used your saw once a month.

I got in the habit of turning the wheel a 1/8 or so turn each time I walked past the saw. Just to make sure that the blade wasn't always resting on the same spot.
Old 01-03-2011, 06:39 PM

And doesn't this good advice also apply to the belts in my drill press? I've forgotten to do that for the past twelve or so years. I think it's bad not only for the belts, but also the shafts & bearing races...
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 01-03-2011, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poto View Post
I've heard that leaving the tension in will also flatten the tire, making a bump on the wheel.
I heard the same thing, (probably from the same person at WIA).

Charles
Old 01-03-2011, 06:57 PM

Send a message via ICQ to TahoeTwoBears

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaRanger View Post
And doesn't this good advice also apply to the belts in my drill press? I've forgotten to do that for the past twelve or so years. I think it's bad not only for the belts, but also the shafts & bearing races...
Oops, hadn't thought of that one (or practiced it either). Down to the shop........
Old 01-03-2011, 07:20 PM

I have two task lights on my bandsaw which I turn on when I tension the blade to use the saw. Then I leave them on even when not using the saw. When I leave the shop I have to turn out the task lights and thats when I de-tension. All lights are out when I leave my shop so it's not hard to forget.

Lights on=it's tensioned
Lights out= de-tensioned.

Since I started this system, I don't forget.

Kapex, Domino, Trion PS 300, RO 150, ETS 150/3, Deltex 93, 2 CT 33's, OF 1400, MFT/3...
Old 01-03-2011, 07:37 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to PaulMarcel

I do something similar to Wayne. I have a piece of plywood with magnets in it. I stick it over the power switches when the saw is de-tensioned. When I go to use the saw, I put the plywood piece back by the tension lever after I tension it.

It makes for a quick visual cue that the saw is tensioned or not and since I cover the power switch when I de-tension, it keeps me from accidentally running the saw with the blade de-tensioned. Not sure what would happen, but I'd rather not find out.