talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Woodworking Machinery and Tools > Machines and Power Tools > Bandsaws

Bandsaws Discussion about one of the most important machines in the shop.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-23-2010, 05:37 AM

Default Laguna Ceramic Guides Oh My!

I guess this will be my early Cristmas present.

Arrived yesterday morning. I wasnt planning on being at the shop because I was dealing with a stuck key cylinder in my truck and water issues at the house. It really came down the last 3 days.

While trying to get my truck key to turn I recieved a call from a fellow in my building telling me to get down there to check on flooding. His shop was getting some water in it. "oh GREAT" First my truck, then my house, and now the shop too. Yikes! so I jump in my wifes car and head down to check things out.

Well good news. Only a few little leaks from the roof not really messing things up and alot better than a flood. phew!

Then as Im leaving to deal with the other issues I get blocked in by the UPS truck. Darn. I pull up and hes got something for me.

I check it out and say Ahhh that other stuff can wait...hehe

In the brown box below is a Laguna Resaw King Carbide blade. Yes I said carbide. Laguna is now using C-4 Carbide tips on the ResawKing. I will be doing a head to head vs the Lennox Woodmaster, Trimaster, and Starrett carbide blades. Look for it in the next month or so in "This is Carpentry"

What's in the white box.

Neatly packed in the little box is everything you will need to install. Plus some thumb screws if you want to add semi tool less adjustment. I say semi tool less because I chose to keep the allen set screws in place for the thrust pad because it has a brass button on the end of it while the thumb screw that was provided did not. The brass button on the end of the set screw ensures that the bar doesnt get marred by it. I dont know if Im being paranoid about that but we will see how long I feel like reaching for an allen every time I want to change blades.

Below I have included a couple of pics of the euro guides. Notice the damage to the thrust bearing. These have only been in use for the few months since I purchased this saw late this summer. Resawing puts alot of stress on the saw. A majority of the damage was done resawing a 6" x 9" x 72" beam of Brazilian Rosewood into 3/16" strips. I only got paid 120.00 for that just laughed at myself when I saw the bearings.

Installing the new guides was a breeze until I noticed that they ride about 1/4" higher than the cut out in the blade guard. hmmm.

My solution was to remove the guard and cut it to fit around the new guides. The bonus was that it took only another 5-10 min and I got to add a 1/4" to the resaw height.

Last edited by EijiFuller; 12-23-2010 at 06:03 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12-23-2010, 06:01 AM

Default Re: Laguna Ceramic Guides Oh My!

On to the performance of these funny looking guides.

The bandsaw is considered by many as a rough tool only. I have found that with a carbide blade and a properly set up bandsaw that can tension it, precise cuts that rival a table saw can be had. Bandsaw blade guides play a major factor on the precision that can be achieve with a particular blade and saw. The euro guides I had previously were difficult to adjust and were constantly going out of adjustment. I knew I was sacrificing cut quality because of it. I had used Carter guides on my previous bandsaw and while I could achieve precision cuts with them the thrust bearings were always getting thrashed.

Bottom line. these Laguna guides perform exactly as advertised. They are easy to install and easy to adjust. They perform amazingly well hugging the blade with 5 points of contact above the table and 5 below. The cut was improved dramatically going from euro to Laguna ceramic guides especially with the Woodmaster CT blade thats not quite as sharp as it could be.

Worth every .01 !
Old 12-23-2010, 07:18 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to PaulMarcel

Ooooh, this is a good start to a thread.

So... earlier this month I was bandsawing when the saw made an evil grind then snapped my Resaw King (call it 1.0 as it was likely from their first version). I sent it back for rewelding, but a couple aspects of the snap made that futile. Anyway, they made me a great deal on a new one. So, I now apparently have a carbide Resaw King. Previously it was a different alloy.

What happened to snap it was the lower thrust bearing disintegrated. I bought replacements from McMaster-Carr for all 6 for the saw assuming the others were in just as bad a shape. Based on what you said, I guess the thrust bearings take a beating (and it makes sense that the lower gets the worse).

I'm definitely interested in those ceramic guides. Didn't know they had them as an add-on. I should call and ask if they have one for my Rikon or if I should just sell mine and get a Laguna someday

Lastly, I agree that the Resaw King blade can make cuts that rival the tablesaw. At least my older-style RK left surfaces that looked like you sanded linearly with P80. The current blade i have on has similar geometry, but leaves a really bumpy surface.

Look forward to your review in TIC.
Old 12-23-2010, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulMarcel View Post
What happened to snap it was the lower thrust bearing disintegrated. I bought replacements from McMaster-Carr for all 6 for the saw assuming the others were in just as bad a shape. Based on what you said, I guess the thrust bearings take a beating (and it makes sense that the lower gets the worse).

I'm definitely interested in those ceramic guides. Didn't know they had them as an add-on. I should call and ask if they have one for my Rikon or if I should just sell mine and get a Laguna someday

Lastly, I agree that the Resaw King blade can make cuts that rival the tablesaw. At least my older-style RK left surfaces that looked like you sanded linearly with P80. The current blade i have on has similar geometry, but leaves a really bumpy surface.

Look forward to your review in TIC.
Your current blade being the new resaw king?

I love it when a tool purchase is money well spent and it performs even better than expected. I would call Laguna to see if they have a set for your saw. Unless you're thinking of upgrading to a different saw soon.
Old 12-23-2010, 08:52 AM

Eiji,

Dang! did you ever destroy those euro guides.. their Roached!!

I knew you would love the ceramics..

Mirko
Old 12-23-2010, 12:47 PM

Eiji,

I'm glad to see you went for the guides & RSK.

I love mine

(My euro guides looked even worse than yours)

Scott W.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12-23-2010, 02:11 PM

Great post. I'll be interested to read more. I have a driftmaster on my Bridgewood bandsaw (its a PBS 18") and have been toying with the idea of upgrading the guides.

I cringed though when I read about you resawing the Brazilian rosewood! Past couple years everytime I hear "rosewood" I think "infill plane". Dang if that wasn't a hunk of wood though.
Old 12-23-2010, 04:44 PM

Eiji,

My saw is only and 18 inch Jet 1.75 hp. However I have Laguna guides, Laguna carbide blade and a driftmaster fence. Despite having a smaller saw I get excellent results and I haven't cut anything yet that slowed my saw.

As much as I like the ceramic guides, I wonder if they would be even better if the back guide was a rolling roller bearing. I like having the ceramic and the 4 points on the side of the blade, but I don't see and advantage of the back of the blade slowly cutting into the ceramic.

My guides took a little more work to mount. I had to drill and tap mounting holes into the frame of the Jet then everything worked great. I also adapted a Carter stabilzer set up (for blades 1/4 inch and under) that mounts on the Laguna mounting block. I haven't tried it out yet but I have a 1/4 inch Lennox Trimaster for that set up.

Kapex, Domino, Trion PS 300, RO 150, ETS 150/3, Deltex 93, 2 CT 33's, OF 1400, MFT/3...

Last edited by wnagle; 12-23-2010 at 04:59 PM.
Old 12-23-2010, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jameel View Post
Great post. I'll be interested to read more. I have a driftmaster on my Bridgewood bandsaw (its a PBS 18") and have been toying with the idea of upgrading the guides.

I cringed though when I read about you resawing the Brazilian rosewood! Past couple years everytime I hear "rosewood" I think "infill plane". Dang if that wasn't a hunk of wood though.
No worries Jameel, the rosewood was for Nathan Anderson, an amazing local guitar maker. www.naguitars.com

I've got some pics of us resawing I could email to Jorat or I can post them this eve. They're on the phone and I don't know how to post them without downloading them to pc first.

Wayne,

I'm not so concerned about the thrust pads but maybe ScottW or Mirko may have some input since their guides have been in service for a while.
Old 12-23-2010, 05:59 PM
Super Moderator

Wow! Nice guitars! Amazing craftsmanship - I'd love to try one some day. It would be fun if we could get Nathan (and craftsmen like him) to join tF.