talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Woodworking Machinery and Tools > Machines and Power Tools > Bandsaws

Bandsaws Discussion about one of the most important machines in the shop.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-17-2010, 12:51 PM

Default David Marks doing dovetails on BS

Hi everyone

Here's a link from Laguna

Videos at Laguna Tools - 800.234.1976

I wish there had been more detail but I think you'll get the idea

And that is a beautiful stool!

Enjoy

Jay
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11-17-2010, 01:10 PM

Default Re: David Marks doing dovetails on BS

Found a better video

Video: Contemporary Dovetail Bench
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11-17-2010, 04:30 PM
Super Moderator

That was pretty fun - I'm inspired. I was not impressed with the amount of sawdust he had flying around there - he needs better dust collection. The bench is beautiful, though, and the dovetails look like a nice challenge. Thanks for posting, Jay!
Old 11-17-2010, 05:42 PM

I attended this symposium last month -- it was held at Laguna Tools and it was a great two day seminar with David Marks. If I recall, they forgot to turn on the dust collector for every cut and that led to more sawdust flying around. David is a Festool user too -- on the second day David talked about inlay work and he brought out his Festool OF1000 router (predecessor to the OF1010) that he set up with the Whiteside Brass Inlay router bit...pretty cool stuff.

Scot
Old 11-17-2010, 07:02 PM

Watched the first video and thought what an easy going guy.
Liked his style and humour.
Then the player went to another where he was talking about his progression through woodworking and working on t.v. etc.
He is a seriously talented man and I am surprised not to have heard more about him and his work.
The other link comes up as NAONA (Not Available Outside North America) which is probably some kind of karmic balance to the fact I have a Festool CMS with several attachments that are currently NAINA. :stongue:

Another great post Jay, cheers.

Rob.
Old 11-18-2010, 12:09 AM

Location: 41N 79W One of the Thirteen Original Colonies of the United States of America

Thanks for the great post Jay, it's a keeper!
I've played with cutting bandsaw dovetails using a home built fixture -- it saves changing the table angle back and forth but the fixture I built was scaled for drawer size dovetails -- for doing the stool it would require a much larger fixture or tilting the table as the video shows.
Thanks again.
Old 11-18-2010, 06:42 PM

Location: 41N 79W One of the Thirteen Original Colonies of the United States of America

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poto View Post
That was pretty fun - I'm inspired. I was not impressed with the amount of sawdust he had flying around there - he needs better dust collection. The bench is beautiful, though, and the dovetails look like a nice challenge. Thanks for posting, Jay!

I wonder if the RAS115 would catch much of the dust or perhaps it's one of those jobs that's better done outside when the wind is working in your favor?
Old 11-18-2010, 07:03 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotFerraro View Post

I attended this symposium last month -- it was held at Laguna Tools and it was a great two day seminar with David Marks ...
I had planned on going to that, but changed my plan when I got invited to go on an ocean research vessel on the same day. I'm sorry I missed David Marks but I certainly have no regrets.

I've had taking one (at least) of his classes on my "to do" list for a long time. I think this coming year will be when I get up there.

David Marks School