talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Woodworking Machinery and Tools > Machines and Power Tools > Bandsaws

Bandsaws Discussion about one of the most important machines in the shop.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2009, 04:59 PM

Default MM16 bandsaw

I am realizing that if I want to be a woodworker I need a bandsaw. I have been looking at alot of different machines from grizzly to aggazanni.

From what I gathered it seems to me that the MiniMax MM16 is one of the best built machines in its class and has enough capacity to serve me well through out my career. I did not want to buy an entry level then upgrade later.

Am I over looking anything?

Now I have to start selling things.

Last edited by EijiFuller; 04-25-2009 at 05:02 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 04-25-2009, 05:21 PM
Administrator

Default Re: MM16 bandsaw

Eiji,

16" resaw capacity, about the same as my 24" Agazzani.

4.8 hp, the same as my Agazzanni.

25 pound wheels, about half the weight as my Agazzani.

All in all, a lot of capacity in a 16".

Can you run one, and check the vibration?

Is it still made by Centauro in Italy? Italy probably makes the best bandsaws in the world, even Felder bandsaws are made there (ACM). Centauro is one of the top rated companies.

Last edited by joraft; 04-25-2009 at 05:47 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 04-25-2009, 05:44 PM

I think its made by SCM
Old 04-25-2009, 05:52 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by EijiFuller View Post

I think its made by SCM
Same thing, Centauro makes SCM saws.

Good stuff.
Old 04-25-2009, 06:07 PM
Inactive Member

The MM16 is definitely a nice bandsaw, but boy is that expensive. The thing that struck me is that you have gotten by without a bandsaw before, and now you want to jump in to getting the MM16. Do you think your woodworking is going to change enough to really justify it?

I was in a similar boat. I rarely used a bandsaw, but wanted to have a nice one available for when I needed it. My crappy Craftsman got me by for flat scroll work, but I wanted something with more capacity. At $900 it was hard to justify the Grizzly GO513X, but that was the minimum I would even try. But I know that just because I have the tool, it is not going to change the woodworking I do very much.

I guess what I am saying is that you are going to have to do a lot of resaw work to really justify the MM16.
Old 04-25-2009, 06:18 PM

I am planning on doing alot more furniture and resawn pieces and alot less casework and trim installations. I figured I should get a saw that could do whatever I wanted with it. I am not that impressed with the Grizzly saws, but could get by with the 19" for a 1000 less than the MiniMax. I think I would regret it a few years down the road though.

I still have to save up the money to get said saw so my mind may change. I was thinking the the MiniMax SN45 18" bandsaw would be great but I watched the MM16 video and fell in love.

Eiji
Old 04-25-2009, 06:34 PM

Eiji,

Have you compared to Laguna? I've had my eye on this one with a Driftmaster fence and Carbide blade. I'd also have to sell a bunch of stuff. right now I have an 18" Jet and a 14" Delta.

http://www.lagunatools.com/bandsaw.lt16hd.aspx

Kapex, Domino, Trion PS 300, RO 150, ETS 150/3, Deltex 93, 2 CT 33's, OF 1400, MFT/3...
Old 04-25-2009, 07:10 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnagle View Post

Have you compared to Laguna? I've had my eye on this one with a Driftmaster fence and Carbide blade.
I was at Laguna this week (to look at dust collectors and order my Driftmaster) and I was not impressed with their bandsaws, compared to my Agazzani. They didn't agree though, saying something about Agazzani being a piece of crap. To each his own.
Old 04-25-2009, 07:15 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickChristopherson View Post

I guess what I am saying is that you are going to have to do a lot of resaw work to really justify the MM16.
What's all this talk about justification? You see it, you want it, you buy it. Case closed!

Seriously, I do think your capabilities will tend to expand in direct proportion to the capabilities of the equipment you own. Just makes sense.
Old 04-25-2009, 09:37 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by EijiFuller View Post
I am realizing that if I want to be a woodworker I need a bandsaw.
Geez, Eiji. If you're not a woodworker, then I hate to think where that puts the rest of us!

On the other hand, I do have a bandsaw, and use it for almost every project...

I'll look forward to hearing what you get. I'd bet that bandsaws don't wear out that fast. Do you think you could find something on Craigslist or ebay?