talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Woodworking Machinery and Tools > Machines and Power Tools > Bandsaws

Bandsaws Discussion about one of the most important machines in the shop.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-27-2009, 12:21 AM
Administrator

Default Re: MM16 bandsaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by EijiFuller View Post

So you think the MM16 is the one? It does not have a geared table, which would be a pain for angled cuts.
The MM16 looks like a great saw, but if a geared table is really important to you, look at the Laguna 16", although it has a 13" resaw height compared to 16" on the MM16. However, they do now offer a 6 hp motor. That's a good saw too, and competitively priced with the others.

My Agazzani does not have a geared table either. What was most important to me was resaw height and smooth, vibration-free cutting. That comes from a very strong and stiff frame, well balanced and heavy wheels, good tire design, and good bearings.

You gotta pick what matters most to you. But I'm just sayin', a fussy guy like you won't be happy for very long with a cheaper bandsaw that vibrates more than it should.

Last edited by joraft; 04-27-2009 at 12:24 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 04-27-2009, 02:45 AM

Gotta have a bandsaw to make furniture
I'd say everything I make gets touched with the bandsaw.

I've been getting by with a "boneshaker" 14" delta with a riser and Kreg fence. I get by with it, and it's done a lot of work, almost on a daily basis...but...it really isn't a nice machine to use. It has an awful amount of vibration, the wheels can't line up well, the table is too small and it's underpowered I had to bolt it into the floor, to try to reduce it shaking. Made in China (just like most of the tool companies these days).

You'll get by with a cheaper bandsaw, I'm sure of that, but do yourself a favour and get the best you can afford
I've heard a lot of good about the Hammer bandsaw, as an in between cheap and high-end option. It does have a really small table though.
Cheers!
Okami

Last edited by Okami; 04-27-2009 at 02:49 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 04-27-2009, 03:25 AM

Location: 41N 79W One of the Thirteen Original Colonies of the United States of America

Since my focus in the past has been metal work, I bought a metal cutting bandsaw about 20+ years ago. It seems to work fine for my woodworking although I haven't tried resawing with it yet.
The nice feature for metal work is that as the name inplies (Roll-in Bandsaw) it will self feed about 7" to cut off steel or whatever.
There are hundreds of shops that have this saw and I see them for sale used fairly often.

Vertical Band Saw for Cutting Metal, Plastic and Wood - Roll-In Saw Model EF1459

Ron
Old 04-28-2009, 07:05 AM

I agree with Okami get one you won't regret having every time you use it. I have a 24" MM it's a nice machine. It tracks nicely and can make .03 veneer easily.
The first thing I did when I got it was to break the glass on the scale indicator. The second thing I did was to put on a 1" carbide blade. That really made a difference.
The table doesn't have gears for a tilt mechanism of any kind but it moves easily, It's hinged in such a way that its counter balanced. It's not an issue. I can't speak for the 16" but it's a good company to deal with in my experience.

Mark
Old 04-28-2009, 08:35 AM
Inactive Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joraft View Post
Eiji, quality of construction is so important to good performance in a bandsaw. Go with a better saw, changing blades is not that big a deal.
Once you step above the 14's and into the rigid frame machines, the priorities change, as they are all going to be fairly rigid and sound.

Rigidity and adjustability of the guide system is the first thing to look at when in this range. Roller bearing guides that are easily adjustable should be a priority, along with a rigid post. For longevity, make sure the wheel bearings and mounts are solid.

I am getting the impression that you might be getting pushed into getting more bandsaw than you really need. We would all like to have a Northfield jointer, but that doesn't mean we all need one.
Old 04-28-2009, 02:30 PM

I am the one doing the pushing.
Old 04-28-2009, 03:15 PM
Super Moderator

Location: Grew up in Peekskill, NY; Now living in Northwest Kansas

My cousin had an older 14" Grizzly and traded up to a powermatic 14" a year ago. He said the difference is like going from sumac to oak.

I don't know how old his retired Grizzly was or if they have improved quality since. I would guess he had the old saw for 15+ years. A friend of mine here setup an all Powermatic shop about 5 years ago and is very happy with his 14" Powermatic.

"If you have good manners and are well spoken, you can be welcome anywhere." -Mom, 1959
Old 04-28-2009, 03:34 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickChristopherson View Post

I am getting the impression that you might be getting pushed into getting more bandsaw than you really need.
In my opinion, more saw than he needs would mean a saw that is too big. And a 16" is certainly not over the top in that respect.

As for quality, how do you buy more of that than you need? The Minimax, Laguna, and Agazzani are all good quality, Italian made saws, and none of them is really outrageous in price. None would be a bad choice.

If you choose right, it can be a once in a lifetime purchase.

Last edited by joraft; 04-28-2009 at 04:06 PM.
Old 04-28-2009, 04:47 PM

I am pro big bandsaw! Get the Mini Max, Aggazani, Felder or Laguna

If you over buy and buy once you won't regret it. If you buy an entry level machine and then realize you need the extra accuracy or resaw ability then you have just wasted your time and money.

Just my Two Canadian cents
Dan Clermont
Old 04-28-2009, 05:11 PM

Location: 41N 79W One of the Thirteen Original Colonies of the United States of America

This forum just isn't good for financial health. I watched the MM16 video (very sweet machine)... now I'm thinking I should sell my metal working bandsaw (probably can get $2,000) and go for the MM16.

When you compare some Festool $$ the MM16 is pretty cheap.