View Single Post
Old 04-06-2020, 02:57 PM

Default Re: Model Boat Building

I finally seem to be making a little visible progress. I lofted the stem bevels in Vectorworks, and came up with at least a preliminary shape for the keelson ends.

For the stem bevels, I tried clamping them a couple of different ways so I could plane or chisel them, but finally just clamped a block plane in the vise and used it like a jointer, running the stems over the blade at a skewed angle which worked very well, even for the bow stem which has some curvature.

After some fooling around, I got the stem and stern post anchored well enough that I could glue the keelson down to them. I made little forks that lock them in place at the strongback, but had to add a little birdsmouth jig to fit the stem bevels. I split the first one, and had to drill little relief holes at the vee, which solved the problem.

After realizing that the stems were not wide enough to land the chine logs and sheer clamps on, I added small blocks on the stemsí inboard edges to give a good gluing surface for the long, compound bevels on the chines and clamps. I did this as well on the 23í deadrise skiff we recently built (see the pics below). On the model, I could just as well have made the stems wider to start with. They will be hidden under the decks. Then I had to notch the stem moulds for the add-ons, and now Iíll have to figure out how to cut those molds out of the way so I can lift the hull off later. BTW, Iím making the stems in two pieces, inner and outer, which was fairly typical Chesapeake construction according to Chapelle. I always do my full size boats that way too.

The compound bevels on the chines and clamps were relatively easy to cut. Iíve cut enough of those in real life that I can go about it without much back and forth.

Getting those pieces to lay flat in the mould notches is another story. I think Iíve come up with a method for that, which Iíll try before beveling and fairing begins. At any rate, the chines and clamps are glued on, and the backbone is complete. I have not yet cut the centerboard slot. I probably should do that before the bottom planking goes on. But thatís later.

I know this a fairly simple simple project, compared to many. But I am challenged! Iíve already realized a dozen things I would do differently next time. Thatís progress, I guess. Thanks for looking.