View Single Post
Old 03-23-2020, 07:05 PM

Default Model Boat Building

Hi again folks,
Sequestered in my Brooklyn townhouse for the foreseeable future. I'm closed out of our commercial shop, as well as my boat shop on Jamaica Bay. Bummer, but not sick (yet). I made it out on Saturday and spent the day cutting and milling a pile of sticks (oak, ash, sp. cedar, wr cedar, and white pine) for some new boat models. I also brought home a little Delta jobsite table saw, and my oscillating spindle sander. Plus I have my bench and all my hand tools are.
I joined a ship modellers forum, and have already discovered a world of new tools that I can't afford. This company, https://www.byrnesmodelmachines.com/index5.html
makes beautiful small machinery for the modeler, even thickness sanders, and of course there is Dremel and Proxxon, and the like.

First up is a 1:8 scale (1-1/2" = 1'-0") double ended Chesapeake Sharpie, from Howard Chapelle. Chapelle did an enormous amount of research and measured hundreds and hundreds of old hulls, particularly around the Chesapeake Bay, wrote many books, and published papers for the Smithsonian in an effort to preserve the maritime history of the US. This design was modeled after the double ended Hooper Island, Md. crab skiffs. These skiffs were used for dip netting soft crabs, as gunning skiffs, and later as all out racing sailboats, some with spring boards for hiking out like the famous log canoes. Chapelle’s version was designed, I’m sure, for pleasure boating. The Smithsonian has in it’s collection all of Chapelle’s many drawings, and has made available full size prints of every one, for a modest cost. I have quite a few in my flat files, and here below are the 3 drawings from this set, first published in his book “Boatbuilding”.

Also, here are some pics of a very similar boat, from the Chesapeake Bay Maritime Museum.

The lines and construction plans shown here are drawn at 1:12. I want a 1:8 model, and rather than just use the offsets, I’m re-lofting the boat at my intended scale. I want to be sure there are no errors in the offsets, plus I’d like to work out some alternate construction details for the boat. This is exactly the approach I would take if I were building a full size boat. I found a nice scrap of masonite to draw on, and painted it eggshell white. I’m just about set to start drawing.

Stay tuned…