View Single Post
Old 11-24-2013, 05:55 PM

Default Planked Half Model

Hi folks,
Been a while since I checked in. First off, I've made a change and closed my shop commercially. I decided that I was tired of the business stuff, and the jobsite stuff, and have gone to work for a bigger shop down the hall, doing project management, drawing mostly, learning InteriorCad which is a 3d design program plug-in for Vectorworks. It's an extremely powerful application, of which more later, maybe. I still have my shop, and I'm looking for a furniture or cabinet maker to share the shop with (Brooklyn Navy Yard). I'll start documenting some projects as the interesting ones come up, and time allow.

In the meantime, having my shop open has given me some freedom to think about various little projects that I would like to do. Boat models is one of those things, and I have started building planked, lapstrake half models. Planking a half model is an unusual approach to this tradition, but it has value in that some aspects of planking a full size boat can be worked out on the model, and also a scale record of the expanded plank shapes can be generated. Plus, it produces (hopefully) an exceptionally interesting object!

I've long been fascinated with the Swampscott type dories of Boston's North Shore, and I am considering building one out at my boat club. Years ago, I drew up a portrait of the sailplan for the Beachcomber, an exceptional boat from William Chamberlain's shop in Marblehead. I'll get bogged down if I try to describe it all here, so I will refer you to an article I wrote for my club newsletter. http://jimluton.com/dorymod/beachcomberarticle.pdf

The cover of this book shows a beachcomber under sail in Marblehead Harbor.

At any rate, here are some images from my model project, starting first with my sail plan.

And here are the hull lines.

These lines, and construction plans are from John Gardner's The Dory Book.

The half model is set up with half molds on a flat board (1/8" ply) that represents the hull centerline. I used 1-1/2" = 1'-0" as a convenient scale. The model is a manageable size (the 21' boat is about 32" long), and scale planking is relatively easy to come up with. 1/2" planking translates to 1/16". For this I used a sheet of 1/32" aircraft birch, which I cut in half and vacuum bagged together to make a 1/16", six ply sheet. The molds are cut from 1/8" Italian Poplar ply. The 1" thick transom is 1/8" mahogany, etc. etc.

I had the body plan drawn to scale in the computer, so I printed out the individual sections and glued them to the 1/8" ply mold stock, then cut them out and faired them on a little belt sander table.

I will continue this in the next post!