View Single Post
Old 07-11-2013, 07:28 AM

Default Re: Jarrah and QLD Maple Watch Collector's Box

Hi Sta2lt
First, thanks for the kind words.
The hinges are quadrant hinges and, I think, add some class to an ordinary box. They are available in two types. One has a rounded end to the arms and is designed to be fitted using a router, the other has square ends (like the ones on this box) and are perfect if you want to use a chisel to pare out the rebates. The width of the arm rebate is ideally suited to a 5/16 chisel.
You can get the rounded ones much more easily than the square ones. Brusso sell them and so do some other companies. Be careful when buying them as they look better and will work properly if they are a reasonable thickness.
I get my square ones from a supplier of antique cabinet makers hardware. He sources them from England. The big catch with them (which is easy to manage) is that they have the small rail that creates the 90 degree stop. You need to dig a hole for it in the box. I use a drill press with a 2mm drill bit and hollow out the cavity with that. Works a treat and doesn't take long.

You may also want to have a look at these. They're pretty clever and special.

Hope that helps,

Regards,

Rob

Rob