View Single Post
Old 08-12-2012, 12:53 PM

Default Three Desk Boxes

Hi all,
I posted a short post last week about using Organoil Interior Finishing Oil, which I suspect is similar to Liberon Fine Finishing Oil, but I will have to use the Liberon to be sure. Anyway, these are the boxes after finishing. The tray and base are finished in black baize ("velvet"). The three timbers are
Box 1 Jarrah and Curly Jarrah
Box 2 Tasmanian Blackwood
Box 3 Australian Red Gum
So to finish the boxes, I used the Interior Finishing oil as follows.
1. Use a rag saturated in the oil and swab the surfaces, rubbing in the oil as I did.
2. Wait 5 minutes then swab the surfaces again.
3. Wait 5 minutes and begin wet sanding at 400g and proceed up through 800,1200, 1500, 2000 and 4000g.
Wipe vigorously with a dry cotton cloth.
The time to finish a box totally was about 15-20 minutes.
That's it!
You should be able to see reflection in a couple of the lids that are open. The finish is clear,rich and bright. Grain is particularly enhanced which makes it ideal for highly figured woods.
It's so easy, you could just do it again if you weren't happy or if the surface was marred in some way.
Pic 1 and 2: Jarrah box
Pic 3 and 4 Tasmanian Blackwood. (The richness of the finish is truly obvious in this timber)
Pic 5 and 6 Red Gum Box.
Pic 7 is all three boxes sitting on a Jarrah servery.

Thanks for looking,

Regards,

Rob
Attached Thumbnails
three-desk-boxes-jarrah_2.jpg   three-desk-boxes-jarrah_3.jpg   three-desk-boxes-blackwood_1.jpg   three-desk-boxes-blackwood_3.jpg   three-desk-boxes-red_gum_1.jpg  

three-desk-boxes-red_gum_2.jpg   three-desk-boxes-3_boxes_1.jpg