View Single Post
Old 03-11-2012, 01:37 PM

Default Re: Conventional wisdom

Good replies so far, thanks... but I don't think head trauma would be necessary to imagine using engineered materials rather than solid wood for this job. The top could be patterned veneer, inlay etc. Also I believe engineered materials were engineered for a reason, so I'm not judging (it's not easy being green ). Truth is, I'd be lying if I said that I've done this a hundred times... because it's probably in the thousands. My background is more cabinet-maker than furniture-maker. I owned a sliding table saw and an edge-bander long before I owned a jointer and a planer.

And yes the edge-bander used hot-melt glue. Prior to that I used iron-on... also hot-melt. Not a great bond, and a visible glue-line. I certainly wouldn't trust it anywhere else in my woodworking. Nails are an option (bad one IMO...looks like buck-shot, and we all have to pretend not to see the holes ), but if the material were any thinner, nails certainly would not be an option any longer.

Shawn is right about a thicker caul, to help spread the clamping pressure... which is why I would have scrap pieces lying everywhere waiting to be called upon for this purpose... and I would spend an inordinate amount of time searching for the right ones, or heaven forbid... milling them.

I think it's safe to assume that unless you have a vacuum bag set-up... you're avoiding veneer work altogether. And that's a shame...

I guess my real question is... (remember you've never heard of a Bowclamp )how many would say... Oh, I would use the curved caul method? And how many readers of Pop Wood are saying to themselves..." I don't have the tools to do this job? (while I'm killing myself trying to convince the editors (for years now) that Bowclamps are something their readers might want to know about...)