View Single Post
Old 09-17-2011, 08:13 PM

Default Re: Spray Equipment: Air powered conventional/HVLP vs. Turbine HVLP vs. Airless vs. A

There's a lot of good gouge up there so far. I would not go with the air assisted. There's just no need for the extra components.
Now, I don't know what you're doing, but if it is all small stuff, then I like the gravity fed gun idea. Especially if you can get away with a touchup style gun. I've used good and bad. The bad are horrible, messy, and create a fog. The good ones, the really good ones, are dreams.
A good quality conversion gun, set and dialed in properly, should give you virtually no overspray and not require you to thin. You change the needle and the cap for different viscosity fluids.
For bigger projects, airless is fine. I absolutely agree with monstrol that if what you are used to is a conventional style cup gun, switching to an airless is going to take a few test runs on scrap. If the conventional delivers fluid like the kitchen faucet, the airless delivers it like a fire hydrant.
If you are looking at that, you do not need a huge setup. The smaller, but professional grade machines like the Graco 395 are perfect. And you also do not have to use the "bunny ear" tips like you would for latex. There are lacquer or "flat" tips which, for lacquer, deliver a great finish with a lot less overspray.
I would also invest in a 3-5ft lacquer rated whip for the hose end. This gets the last few feet of hose smaller diameter and a lot more flexible, letting you get the gun more places, with less fatigue, and more control.
I also have a pressure pot and that is ok for some things. I actually prefer it for waterborne coatings, but the twin hoses do present a challenge if you're going to be using it for a long time. It wears on you. And it takes some effort to make sure the lines are good and clean when you're done.