View Single Post
Old 07-09-2011, 03:54 PM
Super Moderator

Default Re: What I did on my summer vacation...

Thanks, Mike and Rutager. Yes, my vision had been to do one about 100 yards long. But it's clear from my work this year that I'd need to either go to power tools, or buy some lumber - it's just too slow making my own boards.

I'm not sure I'd be able to add to this one, Rutager. I didn't pay much attention to where the next tree was...

I think I'd do it slightly differently next time. I was noticing in the Japanese video that each step had a key, and then a ramp that the ball rolled on for a few inches. I think the ramp had some adjusters that controlled how long the ball would roll - that's how they regulated the speed of the ball drops. But to do that you'd need quite long boards - each step would be several inches wide. So again, I think using milled lumber would make life a lot easier.

But perhaps less fun.

Mike, I was thinking during the whole build how much I wished I had a few of the Sauer and Steiner planes. In fact the day after I finished the xylophone Konrad Sauer and his family came out to The Shack to visit and try it out (as well as fish in the pond, clean out a clogged kitchen drain, and generally have fun). Unfortunately he didn't leave a plane for me to smooth things out with...