Thread: Welcome
View Single Post
Old 03-25-2011, 04:50 PM

Default Re: Welcome

Thanks everyone for your kind words.
Tico,
No I don't have time to actively participate but Fred was kind enough to invite me to join and I will do my best to poke my head in and contribute when I can. I enjoy most forums, I participate in a bunch although far less than I used to. As you pointed out, I just don't have the time. I am not retiring but I need to step back from some activities to focus on Software development. The world is changing and I need to upgrade the computer systems that power Tools for Working Wood - can you imagine the Web site is 12 count-em 12 years old with few visible changes. Time for a much needed upgrade.

Incidently software programs are just like power tools. You can be perfectly happy with a ten year old bit of software, then you see one feature of a new system and you don't understand how you lived without it.
When I worked for Black & Decker I was in the Industrial Construction division, we made good stuff. What is really impressive about Festool today is how standards have changed. A guide rail used to be a bit of wood or aluminum channel clamped onto a board with C Clamps. As you all know, once you use the next generation of stuff, a guide rail that won't let the tool wander, clamps that are designed to not get in the way, etc, you just don't understand how you can do it any other way.