Thread: Festool VS 600
View Single Post
Old 08-26-2008, 04:34 AM

Default Re: Festool VS 600

Hi Jack,

A last couple of comments. First, I don't "promote" Festool and I am not paid to sell Festool products. I design and build fine furniture for a living. I do get paid to write "Getting the most from..." type manuals for Festool and other suppliers and tool companies which I believe supply best of breed products, but I do that and actively participate in these chat groups as part of my way of putting back into the system more than I take out.

Now back to the VS600. Take a look at the nylock nuts on the ends of the template bar shaft. Note that there is a thrust washer inboard of that nut. As the lock lever is moved towards the lock position a cam engages on that washer which forces the wedge plate to mate with the angle track on either side of the grove in the lock mount centering and securing the template bar and hence the template into the same registration each and every time. The nylock nuts are there so you can adjust the force required to set the lock lever to make up for any wear that might occur over time.

When the lock levers are unlocked you can grab the lock handle and pull it away from the jig on both sides which will free up the wedge plate on both ends of the template bar assembly. Look closely and you will see that just before the threaded portion of the template plate shaft there is a machined round boss that is what rides up and down the slot. With both lock levers unlocked and pulled away from the jig you should feel the same amount of play on the left and the right sides as they are designed and manufactured identically.

If you feel more play on one side than the other on your jig, while it makes no difference at all to the performance of the jig when the lock levers are in the lock position, just for giggles look to see what is causing the difference in the amount of play. On my unit the play is the same once the wedge plates are pulled the same distance away from engagement with the machined ramps on which they center the template plate assembly. It could be that on your unit one of the nylock nuts is adjusted tighter than the other which prevents the wedge plate from pulling as fully away from the machined ramps when the lock lever is released on one side as it does on the other.

All this said, the readers should know that play in the assembly when the lock levers are in the unlocked position has nothing what so ever to do with the proper functioning of the jig. The template is properly registered to be in the same location time after time only when both lock levers are moved to the locked position. That is how it is designed and how it works.

Decades ago when I first purchased one of my 356 Porsches, I noticed that one door was adjusted a bit tighter than the other requiring a bit more tug on the door handle to open. It didn't effect in any way the proper functioning of the doors, nor did it render the car improperly designed or manufactured in my mind. I simply readjusted the door latches to be the same and enjoyed that car for more than 200,000 very pleasurable miles.

Hope we can put this play on one side more than the other with the lock levers released stuff to bed and focus instead on how well the VW600 works making really great drawers quickly and accurately day in and day out. I just this afternoon cranked out multiples of five different sized drawers that are part of an office armoire I am building this week for a good customer. All of the drawers assembled square, tight and flat. Can't ask for more than that.

Jerry