Thread: HVLP Turbine
View Single Post
Old 04-30-2010, 09:42 PM

Default Re: HVLP Turbine

What all can you use with airless? I thought (what do I know?) that airless was only for latex etc?

I'll comment there. I have 3 of them. You can use an airless for almost anything. That being said, it's just like any other spray system or tool in that it has its own unique characteristics, and you have to play within those boundaries to get good results.
#1 is a little Graco 395 which is going on 10 years and is solely a latex pump. I won't put anything else thru it. You start mixing products and you'll never get one cleaned out enough to not muck up the next one. It is set up pretty much like it came. I have added a whip on the end for flexibility, and I'm on my 3rd gun, but the pump itself is fine. It uses traditional airless tips with bunny ears on them, like the Graco RacX.
#2 is an identical pump, a 395, that is strictly a lacquer pump. No cat or precat, just nitro. Same thing with getting the lines clean. I use that in houses for finishing trim. The whip is much thinner and a couple feet longer, and the tip is called a flat tip. It has no ears, it has a tiny little filter inside the tip itself, and the whole thing is about the size of a disposable earplug. It does move a thin product like lacquer pretty fast, even with a restrictive tip on the end. But once you're used to it, its kind of nice. Keeps you moving with a sense of purpose and gets things done.
#3 is a MkV which I believe is the biggest thing Graco makes without a gas motor on it. Thats also latex or water based, but the hoses are huge, the intake is as big around as an aerosol can. Its designed to either run multiple guns at once or do heavy bodied products like drywall texture, block filler, or surfacers. It has enough oomph that I can stick the tube into a bucket of unthinned mud and spray it. But you don't want to; it'd look like crap.

On any airless, the pump itself lets you control the pressure it is trying to maintain in the lines (which affects pattern and speed) and the tip determines what size and shape the pattern is, and what size hole the fluid is exiting. I suspect you are at least passably familiar with Bernoulli's principle regarding fluid pressure and speeds. Thats entirely what an airless is built around. Without atomizing air being supplied, the atomization is entirely dependent on the pressure behind the tip being converted to speed going through the hole.