Thread: HVLP Turbine
View Single Post
Old 04-30-2010, 03:54 AM

Location: Born and raised in Omaha,NE. Trying to scratch out a living doing fine art in the midwest.
Default Re: HVLP Turbine

The material that you are spraying should have info. on how much you can thin it. The Mohawk rep. tells me no more than 10% thinning with their water-based conversion varnish with water. The manufacturer may have a product to thin their product with, probably some glycol based(anti-freeze) product that they recommend. Trial and error will help. I have spent 20 years tryng to come up with a water based system that will compete with a lacquer/solvent based system and I have found that I need to change the way I think about how I finish a project. Lacquer worked great for certain production systems and was realtively inexpensive and quick but the waste issue has become a problem. The cost of any auto body repair you encounter has a lot to do with the disposal of the hazardous solvents and not about the actual work being done,"IMHO". If I was in your position I would experiment with any stains you may be asked to use, on any material you may be asked to use, and spray whatever finish you choose and see what happens, and keep notes.
Your in a great position in that you have not been trained with one system and now have to adapt to another. Okami, your work is really amazing and I am trying to imagine the problems you will encounter as you switch to how you finished you product before and how you will finish your product now. I apologize if this is redundant but the water based finishes have a blue milky look when first applied that will gradually disappear. You will soon be able to gauge the correct amount of material applied by that milky appearance. You will need to do a dry run of your finish schedule much like you do a dry run when you glue up a project. It may sound silly but in the beginning pretend you are spraying your project, move it to a drying area, spray the next piece, move it to the drying area and so on. There is nothing worse than wandering around your shop with a handfull of wet product and nowhere to put it while the turbine is running and your potlife window is disappearing. Thanks for letting me get on my soapbox for a while. You will get results that can exceed anything you can do with a brush, a heck of a lot faster once you get it down. Finishing requires you to get into a different frame of mind than you have while you are creating your piece, but you know that already.
Matt

Wow, all you asked was about thinning...lol