View Single Post
Old 10-31-2009, 01:23 PM

Location: 41N 79W One of the Thirteen Original Colonies of the United States of America
Default Re: Palm brace and drill driver set from BCTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelKellough View Post
I don't mean to get all Bob on 'ya but even if you do get the brace you aren't really going to drill holes with it are you? Don't you have a cordless drill already, one that turns like 10 times the RPMs that you can crank the brace?

It's forte is as a screwdriver, and looking good next to the black chrooooome marking gauge.
Don't apologise for being "Bob" -- That man has a large boat load of common sense, experience and wisdom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poto View Post
Well, that just cuts to the essence of it, doesn't it, Michael? Does anyone really need a black chrooome (excellent pronunciation by the way) palm brace? Or a Marcou? Or a Lie-Nielsen for that matter? No. But if it makes you feel good, then you should get one. And if (as Ron mentioned earlier) it makes you strive to work to a higher level, then by all means.

As Sharon always says to me when I'm dithering over a tool, "Need/want. Need/want." At some point "need" is not the issue.
I've decided that Veritas reaches my point of diminishing return for quality/cost ratio.

Excellent points from both of you (which I've come to expect ) & I'm convinced. I am after all (unlike some others) a tool USER not a collector. I was thinking about the practicality of the brace and there are many places (my uses) it just wouldn't swing or I would need a third hand to use it. With my wonderful Festools, I don't see myself evolving into a "no electricity" woodworker -- I do have electricity in my shop.
Because I like BCT tools so much I got caught up in trying to justify this beautiful tool -- I'm going to pass, they will have lots more tools that better fit my user "profile". Fred can order an extra one (mine) for in his glass cases.