View Single Post
Old 07-28-2009, 03:18 PM

Default She might be ugly but...

She's my first and you'll always remember your first right?

First dovetail I've ever attempted... My research basically was watching the youtube video of the jointmaker pro demonstration and then googling to see what angle an 8:1 dovetail worked out to be.

Scrap wood was a little beat up but I cross cut it on the JMP to get a smoother flat end at least. Of course hard curly maple doesn't cut exactly like the wood shown in the youtube video lol Lots of small cuts raising the blade and I didn't make the 0 clearance throat plate or put spacers under the fence since it was just an experiment. Would have been pretty spot on if I hadn't cut on the wrong side of my line once. All the waste was chiseled out (I've since ordered a little saw... lol )

Kind of embarassing to share on a forum with such great woodworkers but hey, gotta start somewhere. Didn't bother to clean it up all that much since I just wanted to make sure it went together.

A valuable lesson was learned about trying to cut with the blade up too high as I did catch my thumb a little on one pass. You'll notice the drop of blood on the right side near the bottom. Idiot boneheaded move on my part.