View Single Post
Old 06-25-2009, 06:57 AM
Founding Member

Default Re: New Mystery Tool from Bridge City

Quote:
Originally Posted by RONWEN View Post
What if there was a tool that instead of measuring all you needed to do was gauge? So we built a prototype and all I can say is you will want one, maybe two, and this want will hurt real bad until the little Bridge City box shows up on your doorstep. Here’s why…
If you have a table saw, router table, radial arm saw, chop saw, band saw, JMP, or any other tool that makes a kerf 1/2″ or less, this device will blow your mind. Please don’t try to send us any money–they are not for sale yet!

Is this cool or WHAT?
REAL LIFE EXAMPLE #1: You are making drawers with veneered ply bottoms. Plywood is like snowflakes–no two sheets are the same thickness. So you cut your bottoms and it is time to cut the grooves in the four drawer pieces. Depending on your drawer, you will likely use a router, router table, table saw or–our HP-6 hand plane. Either case, our new secret weapon will work wonders. Here’s how.
All you need to do is gauge the thickness (you DO NOT MEASURE SQUAT) of the plywood with the tool (it’s so easy even YOU could do it), tighten the knob and this creates an offset at one end of the tool that represents the outer boundaries of your kerf within one or two thousandths of an inch of your ply thickness! The tool then lays on it’s side and acts as a flip stop against a reference. The days of widening a kerf by test cuts is OVER. As in F-O-R-E-V-E-R.
We will demonstrate this via video in the coming days. If your drawer sides are cross-grain grooved at the rear to accept the tenons of a rebate cut on each end of the drawer back, it doesn’t matter what the thickness of the tenon–you gauge and cut–no measuring and I GUARANTEE YOU CANNOT SCREW THIS UP!

This is no pre-game seven Stanley Cup boast made by an overpaid, loudmouth athelete-this is a REAL LIFE boast made by an underpaid loudmouth toolmaker–furthermore book it–I guarantee a gallery quality cut. Did I mention you cannot screw this up–ever?
Is this cool or what?

REAL LIFE EXAMPLE #2: Many think I am nuts, and they are getting warmer. That said, I am actually making a gallery piece out of coffee stirrers that I rescue. OK, I steal them–and I ask first even though I am a charm school flunky. This material is approx. .050″ thick and the joint possibilities are limited–primarily cross and half laps. Not easy. Oops, it is now. Film to follow.
There are other examples but the video will spare you from me. Coming soon. –John

I want six of them just cause and, and, and I want them now. They look cool and I don't know who Michael is but what a nice hand.

WOW, I almost completely fell under the BCTW spell. Phew, I only need three and could care less about the hand.

Fred
Kapex, OF2200,Domino,TS 75, Trion PS 300, RO 150, RO 90, ETS 150/5, ETS 150/3, DTS 400, RS 400, LS 130, RS 2, Deltex 93, RAS 115, CT 33, CT 22, CT 26 CT Midi, OF 1400, MFK 700, C 12, LR 32 3, Shinex, MFT/3s, 3 MFT 1080s, WCR 1000, UG-KA-SET, 10 Sysports, 2 Walko's, Marcou's J20A, S20A, M12, S45, S55A, VSP 40, Brese 650-55J, Sauer & Steiner XSNo.4, SS Jointer, A5 Desert Ironwood and #4 Damascus, Knew Concepts 8 inch Fretsaw, Knew Concepts 5 inch Titanium Fretsaw, Hammer K3 48x48, Hammer A3 31